Soda Blasted- nightmare or not? HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my frame soda blasted and went direct to primer, when we went to paint we had some peeling issues when we started pulling tape :shock: . Made some calls and sure enough the soda blasting leaves a residue that don't like paint much. So we painted again... and again and finally it stuck, hit it with clear...looks great, seems like it is bonded

Question is...
Should I just go ahead and strip it now... or since it seems bonded are we good to go?

Anyone out there have experience with this!

if all looks good and its holding i wouldn't mess with it, but theres no way to know when/if the paint will fail. did you guys clean it before you primed ?

what you need to do is pick up some prep sol , you put some on a rag and rub the frame, i wear rubber gloves so the oils from my hands don't get on the frame. if you don't have prep sol use alcohol . you have to clean the frame good before priming. :D

you should always prep a metal surface with laquer thinner prior to paint. it cleans the dust and any minor oxidation off without leaving a residue. i worked as a painter and sodablaster for a few years. always clean prior to paint.

Back