Speedometer questions.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm interested in installing a speedometer on my WCC bike......but I've got some concerns. With the front wheel hub design having as high of a flange as it does will this effect the drive system for the speedo??? Also, how long are the typical cables for these speedos??? Would I be able to mount a speedo on my bars and have it hook up properly with the length of those WCC forks? If I picked up a speedo that happens to be for a 26" bike what would the outcome be of the speedo if installed on a 20"??? I'm thinking the 26" speedo might have a longer cable to work easier for me.....in this case with my WCC bike.

In particular, I'm looking at this speedo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Let me know guys 8)

Brian

speedo

i got a neat triagular one on my schwinn the cables are usually long enough for springers. This is where it gets fun...
I found that drives from exercise bikes usually fit the big flanges but have short cables, I have a drive and cable from an exercise bike on my old CCM, it's clamped to one of the fork tubes with a hose clamp!!!!
now, being far down it was hard to read s oi went back to scrapyard t look for a bigger or more legible speedo. found an old yamaha motorbike .
it was early seventies yamaha s it still had a cable driven speedo, so now thats strapped on and it even is light!!!! looks wicked to see yamaha on it, makes everyone laugh.
So I figure that most old car, moped whatever speedos would work since there cable driven.
Accuracy might be a lil problem but i bent my needle while riding along a friends car. now it reads right.
you might need to wrap tape around the lil squra part of the drive cable with tape to get a tight fit but it works!!!!

one more thing, ....

the speedo cable that was on the motor cycle would be long enough for a crazy long fork and fit in the drive for the bike speedo, if you wanted t do it that way, the cables are all over the junkyard, remember exercise bike s have them and usually the sprung seats are in great shape and so are the cranks and bearings!!

ok, last one for this topic!!!

took out my spare exercise bike speedo Triangular shaped thing, like an old cadet knock off!!! :D and on a whim tried the flex drive from my dremel tool, its ugly but works!!!!!

if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back