Spitfire 5 - The Cal Custom Cruiser Treatment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So BITD, RRS built a Cal Custom Cruiser using a 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5 as the foundation. The bike was featured in a BMX magazine listing out all of the parts. The article said RRS spent over $1,000 to build the bike. That would be $4,032.45 dollars in 2023!. Some of the parts used on the original build are super hard to find (can you say Phil Wood drum brake? :)), so I plan to make this more of a tribute rather than an exact copy. Here are some pictures of what I'm starting with. The color scheme will be black and gold.
thumbnail_IMG_2538.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2542.jpg

The original bike had the springs on a Mesinger seat, K&N bars, and cable clips brass plated. I could not find a brass player locally, and I suspect the cost would be prohibitive. Instead, I contacted Chip at C4 labs in Delaware. He was able to powder coat the springs, bars and cable clips in gold that mimicked polished brass. I decided to go with a Brooks saddle instead of a Mesinger seat. Here are some before and after pics of the seat springs -

Latest posts

Back