Starting a Western Flyer project - odd rear dropout spacing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi folks, new guy Jason here. I recently picked up a Western Flyer frame that's seen better days: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A5G6XBubS9gLD

I'd like to start building it up. I have a lot of experience with beat up old bikes, but this is my first midcentury American bike project. I happen to have a Morrow coaster brake hub, but as you can see from the photos the rear dropout spacing is way too narrow at 95mm. Is this normal, or has the rear triangle been squeezed? I don't have a problem spreading it out, but I figured I'd ask if I should be looking for a different hub before going through with that. 20mm seems extreme. I'm not aware of any 95mm rear hubs but I could be wrong.

It has been squished. As I recall it, about 4 & 3/8 is the narrowest they ever were. All the hubs of the era were within 3/16in.

We'll never know why... when you rebend it, take your time and check your work with the string method. Cheapest way for the home-wrench to check alignment of the drop-outs.

Back