Stelber bicycles? Any info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this cool Stelber bike but have never heard of them. Anyone have any info? I want to fix her up but want to make sure I'm not destroying something valuable. I'm pretty sure it has a skiptooth (never dealt with one before) and I had a small problem with the stem when removing it. It broke off a bit down the fork and I'm at a loss on how to remove the broken bit. Help would be much appreciated.

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

looks like a skipper sprocket worn from running a regular chain. can u show us a shot of the rear sprocket?

I'd start by soaking it with penetrating oil for a couple of days. A slide hammer should pull it out, or perhaps you can get it loose by drifting it further down with small sledge.

what would be the right type of chain?

rear hub:
IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

hopefully i can get this thing loose. i'm used to stems that have the wedge at the bottom but this seems to be different than that, like the wedge is in the fork.

Chain=1/8"x1"pitch, garden variety "skiptooth". Not being manufactured, but it can be found. There's probably some in the Swap Meet forum if yours is toast. The wedge is conical, and splays out the bottom of the stem to keep it in place. I hate those :x .

Cool I'll be on the look out for one. What's the best way to go about cleaning the frame for powdercoat? How bout the rims and spokes? I'll have to get a new stem too since the other one broke in two. Guess the chainring and everything else will need some cleaning too. Any chance on getting this back to a shine or would it be better to just pick a color or two and powdercoat everything?

I could be completely off base here, but I don't think that is a stelber! That appears to be a 60's headbadge with rivets not to mention that the bottom bracket would be the clamp style and the chainring and cranks would be all one piece. According to the headbadge being 60's, it doesn't seem right that a 60's bike would have a skiptooth!
From what I see through pictures I would say that once upon a time somebody put a 60's stelber headbadge on a pre-war rollfast.
I could be totally wrong but that's what I see!

I got the bike from my brother-in-law who got it from a guy on CL. According to him the bike dates to the 1940's, which would coincide with your pre-war thoughts. Kind of odd someone would put a headbadge on a bike that isn't that brand. Not doubting you, just odd.

How hard is it going to be to get some shiny new parts for this thing if I can't clean up the rest? Powdercoating is still an option.

Stelbers were made in Europe and had 3 piece cranks. That chainring is the D.P. Harris "H" piece, I'm inclined to think it's a Snyder built frame (they built bikes for Harris under the Rollfast badge as well as many Hawthornes and others) -Adam

If you can remove the headbadge, maybe you can see the outline of the original badge, if that one isn't it. The outline can shed some light on the make.

Rustinkerer said:
Stelbers were made in Europe and had 3 piece cranks. That chainring is the D.P. Harris "H" piece, I'm inclined to think it's a Snyder built frame (they built bikes for Harris under the Rollfast badge as well as many Hawthornes and others) -Adam
That was my initial thought as well until I looked closer at the drop outs! Now I'm thinking it's a schwinn frame, D.P Harris chain ring and a stelber headbadge!

wow definitely not what i expected! obviously you guys have waaaaaay more experience with this stuff than i do. now that you mention it though, it does kind of look like a schwinn frame. i'll try to remove the headbadge tonight (it was coming off anyway) and gets some more pics up. thanks for the help!

[quote="John c]
That was my initial thought as well until I looked closer at the drop outs! Now I'm thinking it's a schwinn frame, D.P Harris chain ring and a stelber headbadge![/quote]
Schwinn frames have little nubs on the dropouts w/a hole for fender braces, and the rear stays join the seat mast on either side, whereas this frame has no nubs, and the stays come together behind the seat mast. At least on all postwar Schwinn frames I've seen. -Adam

ok new updates for the stelber bike. quite a few pictures so hopefully they'll help figure this thing out. the rear hub is a new departure, the front hub only has a "U" in a shield, the front tire is a kenda and the back a lightning, it does have a skiptooth chain, and i;m pretty sure the fork is toast cause i can;t find a way to get the broken piece of fork out.

here's the pics:

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

these may or may not help...hopefully they do. if i can take anymore let me know.

Back