TRADITIONAL Stir crazy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late to the party but i'm here. Just got back from Memory lane swap meet. My entry this year will be a 1953 cwc. Picked up on marketplace late last summer for 25 bucks. No head badge, fenders, chain guard or tank and mismatched wheels. And a green house paint paint job. I picked up a tank a couple weeks ago i can work with. I have some cwc fenders and other bits i can use. I plan to start taking it apart tomorrow. More pics coming then. Looking forward to getting back into fun.
20230827_121020.jpg

Marshall H. in the House! CWC hard to beat for a launch pad to a fine build.

RaT oN~!

I was going through my parts earlier and couldn't find a good set of wheels. I pulled out a set of drop center rims i purchased a couple years ago online. The seller decided it was better to ship if they removed the rear hub assembly. It is a New Departure model d which i had never had apart before let alone rebuilt. So i did a little research, found a detailed guide how it is assembled, and with some tips and pointers from the forum i decided to rebuild it myself. i cleaned everything, repacked the bearings, sanded and oiled all the disks and attempted to reassemble. A couple hours later i've got a fully working rear wheel. smooth quiet and the brakes function fine. Back to digging out parts now. Tomorrow i will tear down and start to remove the awful green housepaint.
20240504_160323.jpg
20240504_115142.jpg
20240504_115003.jpg

Great frame to start with. I hate it when seller break down the wheels like that. It's not necessarily a trivial matter for reassembly. Wheelset looks super though!

Nice wheel work. The learning new things part of building old bikes is very rewarding!

Great frame to start with. I hate it when seller break down the wheels like that. It's not necessarily a trivial matter for reassembly. Wheelset looks super though!
Was not happy when i unboxed package, but in the end i learned a new skill i can use in the future builds. Thanks to the experienced bike guys on here that posted tips to get me through the rebuild. 64 years young and still learning.

Nice 53 CWC! I had one back in the day. I don't know if it was a Roadmaster, Western Flyer or Hawthorne brand, no chainwheel or headbadge.

Yours is sporting a Hawthorne chainwheel that it may have had when brand new. Here's an example of a 53 Hawthorne:
1714891883345.jpeg

Notice the seatpost is 5/8" solid rod, I think the one on yours is homemade.

My 53 CWC won a recyling contest.
A new camera and a page on the calendar.
798197_10151430670941737_563026287_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 53 CWC! I had one back in the day. I don't know if it was a Roadmaster, Western Flyer or Hawthorne brand, no chainwheel or headbadge.

Yours is sporting a Hawthorne chainwheel that it may have had when brand new. Here's an example of a 53 Hawthorne:
View attachment 264377
Notice the seatpost is 5/8" solid rod, I think the one on yours is homemade.

My 53 CWC won a recyling contest.
A new camera and a page on the calendar.
View attachment 264376
Mine also had the solid rod. It looks like the previous owner didn't have the correct size clamp on the seat. They just slid the larger post over what was there and tightened the the clamp down till it bent. I guess it worked.
20240505_091835.jpg
20240504_175038.jpg

Started to pull out parts while i'm waiting on the paint stripper to do it's job. I picked this tank up from Chris Fagen a cwc guru. It is missing a horn button and has its share of dings i can work out. I'm on the lookout for a button and screws to fill the holes. I did pick up a horn unit at memory lane swap i may use.
20240505_131242.jpg
20240505_131216.jpg

Still digging out parts while i'm working on getting the rest of the house paint off. I've had this springer hanging around for about 3 years . If i remember correctly i had a heck of a time getting the bars into the bracket. As usual i've misplaced the acorn nuts that went on there. No big deal i just ordered some more.
20240505_093545 (1).jpg

A little slow going right now. I'm still trying to remove the thick house paint but making progress. In the mean time i've been pulling parts out and putting a plan together. I've had these fenders for a while waiting for a cwc to put on. These will get a oa bath when the rain lets up. No dent or dings but i will have to straighten one of the braces or replace.
20240509_101818.jpg
20240509_102334.jpg

Nothing like a slow stripper to delay a party!

Back