STOCK UP ON FIXIES...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like coasting by fixies. :lol: :mrgreen: Ride your fixie down a hill, you either get beaten by the pedals or you are pedaling like crazy trying to keep up. I coast down the hill and have enough energy to keep my momentum at the bottom.

I like my Bianchi Pista fixed gear, its fun to ride and it makes you a strong rider. I honestly would rather ride fixed than not. I do run a front brake though, it really is nice in emergencies.

Ever since I flipped the flop on my rear wheel to a 13tooth track cog I've been waiting to die, and every time I get on the bike, even though I enjoy it, I'm scared to death.

I built one for my 19 year old son, he rides it all the time. Whether you like em or not the certainly make you a stronger rider. I know he can take me when we ride mountainbikes now. He seams to be able to power up hills alot quicker than before.

Thanks RR for posting this, Im looking forward to seeing the movie. Quick Silver is one of my favorite movies with Kevin Bacon riding a fixie thru out the movie. I live in Md right outside of DC so I see alot of fixes and single speed when Im out and about. A lot of people in bike polo build up fixes. I have an old mongoose mb from the early eighties with horrizontal drops and flip flop . I only ridden the fix side once. I like the bmx freewheel side better lol. From time to time on DC CL I sell vintage road bike and mb frames with horrizontal drops and they go quick sometimes. My next road bike build will probably use a coaster brake rear wheel . I love the clean look of the fixies, but I like to be able to use a brake thats hidden lol.

john

When we were finishing up a single speed conversion and small tall bike today a guy rode by my house on a fixed gear bike... besides mine, that was the only once I've seen in this city. :shock:

Ok here I go! I get the whole fixie thing fixed gear,whats the deal with the freewheel bikes being called fixie's? or even a cluster geared bike with out derailer direct chain w/hand brakes I see those called fixie's also. :? Tom

largek9 said:
Ok here I go! I get the whole fixie thing fixed gear,whats the deal with the freewheel bikes being called fixie's? or even a cluster geared bike with out derailer direct chain w/hand brakes I see those called fixie's also. :? Tom

People who use the terminology "fixie" normally are not "in the culture." Most riders call it fixed gear or even ride a track bike. People who call a SS conversion a fixie don't have a clue what they are talking about.

j69rr said:
Thanks RR for posting this, Im looking forward to seeing the movie. Quick Silver is one of my favorite movies with Kevin Bacon riding a fixie thru out the movie. I live in Md right outside of DC so I see alot of fixes and single speed when Im out and about. A lot of people in bike polo build up fixes. I have an old mongoose mb from the early eighties with horrizontal drops and flip flop . I only ridden the fix side once. I like the bmx freewheel side better lol. From time to time on DC CL I sell vintage road bike and mb frames with horrizontal drops and they go quick sometimes. My next road bike build will probably use a coaster brake rear wheel . I love the clean look of the fixies, but I like to be able to use a brake thats hidden lol.

john

I grew up down there (Silver Spring); and my parents still live in Burtonsville. I'm down there at least once a week.

I never used to see any fixed gear bikes until I joined this site....now I see them everywhere. 8)

I rode a "fixie" for a couple of years back in the early sixties.

Roadmaster-Duo-Deck-10-inch-trike.jpg

:lol: :mrgreen:

Back