straight laceing a wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen Dept. Store bikes with rear wheels radial laced. "Lowrider" wheels are also radial laced. It isnt efficient for the rear wheel. I would think as long as your gentle and not jumping curbs and stuff you should be fine. Your bike is hanging from the rim as you travel down the road. The reason you dont see Rear wheels radial laced, normaly, is because you need the "Tangential" spokes, to propel the bike forword. You can radial lace the nondrive side of the rear wheel...and Tangential for drive side. Hope this explains well enough.

66olds98 said:
I have seen Dept. Store bikes with rear wheels radial laced. "Lowrider" wheels are also radial laced. It isnt efficient for the rear wheel. I would think as long as your gentle and not jumping curbs and stuff you should be fine. Your bike is hanging from the rim as you travel down the road. The reason you dont see Rear wheels radial laced, normaly, is because you need the "Tangential" spokes, to propel the bike forword. You can radial lace the nondrive side of the rear wheel...and Tangential for drive side. Hope this explains well enough.

:shock: iam sorry ... okay so just awesome i knew what that meant lol is when you pedal the hub is pulling the rim with it so that why its better for the rear wheel spokes to be crossed laced rather than straight then they will bend correct ?

Well, when you pedal, your hub is turning, in turn, pulling on the spokes, pulling on your rim to go forward. Now, If the entire rim is radial laced, your hub will turn when you pedal, but, you will lose efficiantcy, it will take longer for your spokes to catch up and turn the rim. They wont "bend" it will cause more stress on your spokes, hub, rim... For casual riding this should be no big problem though, what bike are you planning to have this done on?

i would NOT radial lace a rear wheel...ever!
some of the "lowrider" wheels do it, but they have a million spokes!
there is too much stress on the back wheel, even if you ride 'casually'
the ONLY time i'd do a radial laced rear wheel: You live in a place with NO hills (none, nada, zip) AND you are not using a coaster brake AND your gear ratio is SO PERFECT that you NEVER (never ever!) have to put ANY stress on the drive-train.

just my $.02

Your right New_Dharma, for some reason i didnt think about the amount of spokes *DUH* Theres no way a 36 hole wheel would ever hold up. Only if you radial laced the left side and had rim brakes...

Latest posts

Back