Straightening out fenders, need help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to do bodywork on bike fenders? I don't feel like paying a bodyshop and figure it can't be to hard to straighten out some dings. Also What tools would I need?

you can pick up a decent body hammer kit from harbor frieght. its got the hammers and the assorted dies. i like using the curved dies for the inside. what i really like using is my english wheel makes it alot easier. i sandblast the fender down to bare metal then sand it with 80 grit paper the low spots will not get touched by the paper and appear dull. pound those outusing a hammer. now anything imperfections you cant get out you can use filler. i like using a polyester filler.sand down the filler using a block sander dont try and get it perfect with the sanding.primer it, let it dry then use flat black and put a mist overthe whole fender. now wetsand with about 360 your highs and lows will really show with the mist of black. keep working those out with either a hammer or more filler. i also like using a slap spoon if you can find one. it takes awhile but it can be done. thats the way i do it im sure there will be many other ways, im far from a proffesional but ive had some good results. be sure to use a rubber sanding block when sanding. just using your hands will follow the bumps and imperfections.

spot on thats how we do it use a high build primer that is compatable with your paint or you will have a big mess it will lift [wrincle up] and good luck im here if ya need me been doin body n paint for 19 years :D

I have a small set of body hammers and dollies that I got from Harbor Freight for probably less than $50. But I don't use those as much as I use improvised tools made from scrap lumber. Fender sheetmetal is very soft and doesn't take much force, or hardened steel to reshape it. I use mainly a couple sticks of hardwood with the ends sanded or ground to the approximate shape or contour of a fender. Support the fender on a workbench, place the end of the stick on the back of the ding, and tap the stick with any type hammer. I use a collapsible type clamping table... open the gap to span the dent area, lay the fender across the span.

I have also cut male and female forms from scrap 2x4's to use as "bucks", that match the proper cross section of the fender. I have heard of other people who use a broom handle, a pool ball, etc. It is not exactly like auto body work. Think outside the box.

Keep 'soft' edges on your dollies (whatever you use as one, is one) and avoid sharp edges; they have a habit of showing up when you least expect it and sharp creases are harder to get out than push in dents.

A ballping hammer and a piece of thick carpet for the inward dings and a small piece of pvc trim rounded off and the same ballping for dents pushing out

Back