Stray Kat's Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
What kind of brazen insanity cam come from this tomfoolery??
20230430_115707.jpg

A few weeks ago I was sitting downtown with my DcBR Bomber for one of the rides during Vegas Bike Week. One of my friends, that rides the big tall bike for the Wednesday rides, takes a look at it and says, Hey, You could make a swing bike from that... ... Easy.
20230430_115731.jpg

I told him there was no cutting that frame. But I do have one that have cut before a lot like it.
20230430_131104.jpg

Mentioned the thought to another friend a week later and he told me I would be insane to cut it.
20230430_130948.jpg

Up until Saturday, there was no mention of swing bikes on the buildoff discuss I on. Thought I might be the only one left swinging in the wind when it's all over.
20230430_130855.jpg

Well, sometime today, i might lose the battle with insanity.
20230430_120439.jpg

More to come.

Swing bikes are fun.
Don't forget the ability to pin it noswingy...
Agreed. Was thinking thru the kind of plate that I'll need for the no swingy thingy.

Also trying to figure out the return springy thingy. (technical term )

Stand up the bass and slap up a swing beat. This one has been ear worming me for weeks...

Ahhh so we have the swingy thingy ma-jiggy going on here... :21:

What kind of brazen insanity cam come from this tomfoolery??
View attachment 229907
A few weeks ago I was sitting downtown with my DcBR Bomber for one of the rides during Vegas Bike Week. One of my friends, that rides the big tall bike for the Wednesday rides, takes a look at it and says, Hey, You could make a swing bike from that... ... Easy.
View attachment 229908
I told him there was no cutting that frame. But I do have one that have cut before a lot like it.
View attachment 229912
Mentioned the thought to another friend a week later and he told me I would be insane to cut it.
View attachment 229910
Up until Saturday, there was no mention of swing bikes on the buildoff discuss I on. Thought I might be the only one left swinging in the wind when it's all over.
View attachment 229909
Well, sometime today, i might lose the battle with insanity.
View attachment 229913

More to come.
Definitely a lot of swing going on this year... 😉

A simple pin horizontal thru the rear headtube oughta do it. Close tolerance maybe hardened. Hang it on a chain. Simple is always good. If you share with the seat tube you might need to go low. The mechanism on a real swing bike is overly complicated.

A simple pin horizontal thru the rear headtube oughta do it. Close tolerance maybe hardened. Hang it on a chain. Simple is always good. If you share with the seat tube you might need to go low. The mechanism on a real swing bike is overly complicated.
Like this 😉
IMG_20230330_161415827.jpg

Whoa, that must have been a good one! Love the bike and the new direction(s)!
The first one was rolling into a wall. The second was a yardsale from a mis-judged curb a year later. The third was an evasive maneuver caused by a drunk gal on a city ebike and i found a cement post.

I had minimal pain, the big bike however wasn't as lucky on the 2nd and 3rd incidents. Walked it a couple miles to the truck after the post.
I like this name for a build
Brazen Insanity. You are right. Sounds like a cool build. 😎

The first one was rolling into a wall. The second was a yardsale from a mis-judged curb a year later. The third was an evasive maneuver caused by a drunk gal on a city ebike and i found a cement post.

I had minimal pain, the big bike however wasn't as lucky on the 2nd and 3rd incidents. Walked it a couple miles to the truck after the post.

Brazen Insanity. You are right. Sounds like a cool build. 😎
Geez, you've been thru the school of hard knocks with this one!

Geez, you've been thru the school of hard knocks with this one!
And then some. Broke a pedal once on the mountain and came down on a stub. Glad i had my leather boots on that day. A few weeks later, I originally broke this frame after being airborne on a different mountain trail. Coasted to the bottom. Luckily I was on the downhill side of the loop. The frame and I have a bit of history. Heheh

Spent a little time during my lunch hour today. Had an idea to try a 20" fork with a slightly larger tube instead of that classic one.
20230503_124914.jpg

Marked it up and put it on the band saw.
20230503_132044.jpg

Ground the top to fit the inner curve. Worked out perfectly.
20230503_133311.jpg

Hangs onto the frame.
20230503_133255.jpg

Still working up to cut the frame and really start fitting it together.

Latest posts

Back