Sturmey archer question.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this sturmey archer 3 speed coaster brake with a black brake arm on a bike. Is this set up worth saving? I want a three speed with a coaster brake to lace to a 24 inch rm. I think i may have it here but it seems to be a little stiff.Does any one have a diagram showing how to rebuild it? Is it a good 3 speed or do they slip or fall apart easy? Im not easy on a bike, I like to throw some weight on the pedals.Im looking for dependability.I dont want to fall on my face because it slips when i stand up to pedal. I have had that happen more than a few times.Sorry about the pics, the rest didnt come out because the batteries in the camera died. Ill get more up soon.
wassabi008.jpg

wassabi007.jpg

Sturmey is a good hub. I think the Shimano version is a little more reliable in my opinion. I find it easier to adjust the Shimano so that is probably my reason. Also I know that Sturmeys do wear out, particularly the clutch cross inside and for a coaster, it is a hard part to find. However for just cruising, they either work or they don't. Not much in between. If you're going to lean on the bike, I would go Shimano. You could probably get $50 - $60 for your Sturmey setup on ebay (hub, shifter and cable). However the Shimano is a little harder to find. Lots of department store bikes used them so you might get lucky at your local Goodwill or Salvation Army.

while sturmey archer is a good name, they've had thier share of "bad apples"

a 3 speed coaster hub happens to be one of them.

sc3-"Coaster brake. After Consumer Reports rated the TCW IV "unacceptable" due to the fact that the brake would fail completely if the shift cable was misadjusted, Sturmey-Archer completely redesigned their Tricoaster, so that the braking was independent of the gear-change. This model is safer than the TCW series, but is still prone to failure."

what you need to do, is check to see what model you have. (usually stamped on the hub -2 or 3 letters in most cases)
once you have the model,check here to see if its worth keeping.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

you should be able to track down diagrams there also.

I've only had the older model SA. I've always liked them, but that open space between 2nd and 3rd keeps me in the saddle. Even when properly adjusted, it will need adjusted every so often. Shimano doesn't have that free space between gears.

i got my share of s.a. equipt 3speed bikes, and although mine have all been the older (60's and 70's) AW hubs, ive never had a coasterbrake s.a. hub. i know the freewheel AW ones are actually easy for me to rebuild. i will agree, igh hubs are not for the best for hard abuse.

In my experience, AW=great hub! SC3=paper weight! I've NEVER got a SC3 to work, EVER!!!!!!

I gave the bits to one to a custom's bike shop,
then for my trike I cut the sprocket off the hub shell and hit it with a hammer a few times just to teach it who's boss. :x

I bought a brand new one for the trike(AWC), and it's been very good to me. :)

I've got two SA coasters and I haven't had a problem with them. I am not too hard on them just easy crusin, I don't have too much leg tourque so maybe thats it. lol

Hmmm, I'm getting ready to put a TCW coaster in my kids bike. Better add a handbrake too huh? This is my first coaster, so we'll see. As far as freewheel three speeds, I have two Shimanos versus one SA. I must say the Shimanos shift way better.

I've got both kinds, S3C and TCW, both work fine. I also had one on my world cruiser, an old Hercules I rode all over while I was in the Navy. Never had a problem.

Thank you for the info everyone! Much appreciated! It sucks because i just had a few shimanos but none were coaster brake. I liked the whole 3 speeds with a coaster brake thing. I might have to put it on a cruiser i dont ride much. Ill post pics of whatever i dcide to put it on. Thank you again!

id love to run a 3speed coaster wheel (seriously), but can't find any used around here. i put a s.a. AW f/w 67' rim on my columbia and made a klunker out of it. i would stand on the pedels forever going up these steep powerline access roads that most mountain bikes hit in low range, just feeding torqu to the hub and never any problems.

I like 3-spds. They usually don't go south from steady weight, but from badly timed or accidental shifts, accidental rock-backs, or foreign material, like sand or dust finding it's way inside. I've broken a Shimano using it off road, but it took me awhile. My 200+ lb baby brother broke it's replacement while in college, but it was reclaimed from the trash, who knows what it went through before. I've also seen old English SA bikes w/worn out sprockets and pedals that had original hubs in perfect working order, but as mentioned by others here, they can be killed as well. All that said, I would go ahead and run it, if you can get it spinning free and shifting right without being loose on the axle. :|

Back