Styria hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a schwinn beater for 15.00 today,started looking at it closer once I got it home and found the name STYRIA on the hub. A quick internet check verified that it was an Austrian hub. Does anyone know when these were used on Schwinn bikes? Are they any good ? The bike is a middle weight. I tried to find #s on the bottom to no avail (5 coats of paint at least)Where else should I look for the #s ? Thanks in advance , Harley 8)
austrianschwinn003.jpg

austrianschwinn004.jpg

austrianschwinn002.jpg

I would guess that it's not original to the bike.The frame looks kinda like the Schwinn Speedster I got through our classifieds.(thanks again Biss!)Also why would it have cable guides if it was a coaster to start with. :?
L8 EM

Yes...it does look like you have quite a mish mash of parts there.

That seat is not original and I'm thinking that the sprocket isn't correct for that model either.

I think it is a Speedster frame.

What size tires are on the bike now?

If they aren't Schwinn sized then the wheels were added on.

My mistake, since I first read about this on the Schwinn forum I guess I had it in my head that Schwinn used them :oops:
The bike was bought for parts so i'm not to concerned w/ the mish mosh of parts.
Has anyone had any exp. w/ these hubs?
So I guess the rims are from eastern europe and the rest from good ole USA (or China, or Tawain)LOL
Thanks guys, Harley 8)

> Classic Classifieds
> Collectors Forum
> Restoration Forum
> Rebirth Of Cool Forum
> BMX Forum
> Timeline
> Contact Info

SCHWINN FORUMS

User Control Panel | Schwinn Forums Rules of Usage | Forums Calendar

Schwinn Forums > Collector's Forum
styria coaster brake
User Name Remember Me?
Password

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search

Advanced Search

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#1 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
joosebocks
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2004

styria coaster brake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i had this hub laced up to 26 x 1 3/8 wheel that i found in a scrap heap for about a year now, and just recently decided to tear it down and clean it up. i've never heard of "styria" and have no clue as to what its origens may be. can anyone tell me what kinda bikes these came on? years of production? country of origen? value? it appears to be a quality hub, with bearings in pristine shape. its all steel, making it weigh a ton. any info anyone has would certianly be appreciated
thank you
Attached Images IMG_0710.jpg (58.2 KB, 38 views)
IMG_0711.jpg (49.3 KB, 34 views)

joosebocks
View Public Profile
Send a private message to joosebocks
Send email to joosebocks
Find all posts by joosebocks
Add joosebocks to Your Buddy List

#2 12-01-2005, 06:30 PM
bigkingfish2003
Registered User Join Date: Nov 2003

styria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Styria hubs both front and rear are made in styria austria and were used on some puch bikes and alot of bikes sold in europe. When my wife and I traveled to poland 2 years ago, I paid close attention to the bikes they use there, and the styria hub was common. Also, popular were bikes that fold in half or collapse, and always a european bike has a front fork mounted generator with a little tab welded on the fork. Bikes in poland are used till death. and very expensive. I suggested we buy 2 bikes in poland, ride them for 2 weeks and give the bikes to her family when we leave. Went to the only bike store in town, looked at the prices, and found out a bike that sells for $75 new in america was $500 in poland. It was way cheaper to rent a car for 2 weeks. Interestingly enough I went to a flea market in poland , and not 1 bike there, but I found 2 AK 47s for for sale there for $500 with 8 military boxes of ammo. This is right after 9-11-01 and there was no way to send it legally to america . The town I was at was 30 kilometers from russia. bill

Back