Substitute for skiptooth chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKB

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am definitely a noob when it comes to skiptooth sprockets and chains.. I know very little about either. But the board tracker that I am replicating used a skiptooth setup on the pedal side, so I need to put something similar together. I've already purchased a skiptooth crankset from a fellow board member, which I may need to modify a little bit to get the look that I want. I will also be picking up a 22T rear freewheel which will have every other tooth removed to turn it into a skiptooth. The hard part is the chain though.. The chances of finding the exact chain that I need are pretty slim, and I don't like piecing something like that together. Is there anything else I can do? Obviously I cannot just use regular bike chain, since the real skiptooth crank sprocket is much too thick for that. How about motorcycle chain then? The bike that I am replicating seems to have very thick chain which was also nickel plated. Would I be able to use that with my narrow (1/8") converted skiptooth rear sprocket? Or would there be issues? Just trying to get this straight in my head so I can put a plan together. TIA :)

If you don’t care about the skip tooth aesthetic, just use a ½” pitch by ¼ wide power transmission chain. Try Mcmaster.com, Grainger.com or MSCdirect.com. Mcmaster part number 6261K174 probably will work.

There should be no problem using the wide chain on the narrow sprocket other than it favoring one side or the other depending on the chainline alignment.

I’m sure someone that has actually tried this will pipe up shortly. Good luck. :wink:

all you realy have to do is take a reg front sproket and grind every other tooth off like you are going to do to the back sproket that way you can use a reg chain and have the look ya want. just make sure the sprokets have even # of teeth. good luck.

Outlaw 8)

I love skiptooth. I know a guy that sells old used diamond skiptooth chains. If the chainring is a real skiptooth the rear should be a real skiptooth or you will run into a lot of problems in the long run. I've never done the grinding every other tooth off deal but I've been told that you get a grinding sound from the chain plus you don't get to use that big fat chainring and that's what really sets it a part from the rest.

well you can find nos 1" pitch chains around fairly easy but they dont go for less than $100 most of the time......you could if you have a ton of time and a steady hand file the chain ring down to 1/8" to fit a standard chain but it will look like a regular chain in the end(unless you get those who dont know looking at it)....i personally dont use old chains(i like my teeth how they are).best bet would be to save up pennies and get a real 1" chain or ditch the skip stuff and run a 1/2" pitch if money is a concern

Back