suicide brake (coaster on the front hub)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, was hoping you could help me find the original post with the coaster front brake.
it's probably a 2-3 year old post and i dont believe he refered to it as a suicide brake.

worked a little different than the one i designed a couple years back with the bicycle chain and return spring.
DoneC_0106.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

i believe he used a normal piece of chain to pull on the coaster arm itself.

i've got an idea for a dual coaster brake bike (both activated with one lever)
and could really do with finding the coaster brake thread.

thx guys and gals.

I know somebody built a 'drum brake' out of an older coaster brake for a swing bike build, that was a few years ago now (I think?)... That's the first one I saw on the site. Is that what you were thinking of?

As I remember, it was pretty different from your setup. I seem to *vaguely* remember something to do with welding special steel blocks along the inside of the hub shell. It might be worth trying to dig up a search for this setup.

Unchained said:
I know somebody built a 'drum brake' out of an older coaster brake for a swing bike build, that was a few years ago now (I think?)... That's the first one I saw on the site. Is that what you were thinking of?

As I remember, it was pretty different from your setup. I seem to *vaguely* remember something to do with welding special steel blocks along the inside of the hub shell. It might be worth trying to dig up a search for this setup.

not sure it that is the one or not?
Double Nickle said:
when I built mine in build off 5, I saw that post let me go back and find it.

thx bud, that would be great.

here's what i have in mind.
i'm going to attempt to add a free wheel to a coaster brake so the arm itself will have to move.
i'll run a push rod along the bottom of the frame to active it (return spring to return it to position)
it will be independent to the front brake, which will be much the same as my original design with a little
longer lever.
on the end of the pushrod (near the head set) i'll attach tab. this tab should catch the suicide lever when engaged,
pushing on the push rod.
the tricky part will be in the design of the lever. allow room to turn without engaging the brake.

that make any sense? lol

LarzBahrs said:
Hey Double Nickle I found your bike on the "what doesnt belong on your bike" thread or what ever it is titled. Its on the first page quiet a ways down http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=34836

he was looking for a particular thread, not his bike. :D
long before i did my bike or double nickle did his, somebody else did something very similar.

i ran with it, changed things up and tha the design we have on our bikes.

i'm looking for the original idea guy, that gave e the idea in the first place.
that being said, i don't think it was that thread/how to.

Wow snooped around here to see people are pondering the idea still on the suicide brakes set up lol. I ran one 5 bikes in my younger years with this set up and its just now showing up :rofl::21::rofl: Im just going to keep my mouth shut and watch. Nice work though :grin:

Back