Super Stock Scrambler 1X10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seems like this thread is way overdue for an update. Still kind of in the R&D riding stage. Working on it here and there but it's my main rider right now and it makes a great urban assault vehicle for hitting sidewalks, grass, etc. It's great on the street too.

These 1Xsetups (this one and my 9-speed Fastback) are quite the temperamental beasts. Seems this is not uncommon especially with Velo 20 in. road bikey deals.

This bike is finally shifting mint. I can bang it up and down through all 10 gears with no worries. The chain guard helped a lot but what finally cured it was a Surly 50t non-ramped and pinned stainless steel chainring. Works great and is a key item. Not many places make them. Wolf technologies has some too but they are a little more spendy.

surly_zpsuyozdhxm.jpg~original

No chain drops since I installed that about a week ago. I used the 39t inner chainring for a spacer for the guard. I think I'm going to keep that and just grind the teeth off of it.

I got a lovely Fairlady seat from Chicago Muscle guy quite a while ago. Pan is mint and the price was right. 6 dollar ebay seat cover is sooo comfy. I hope to stuff that whole thing under some black vinyl eventually.

seat_zpscermzftv.jpg~original

Getting the suspension dialed in real nice. I've got about 2 inches of nice smooth travel.

seat3_zpshy128vui.jpg~original

Now the bigges frankensteiny thing I've done was to add another brake lever to the left. I've got the both running through the bolt at the straddle cable.

With 2 hands she stops pretty good but man is this thing weird looking. I really feel like I must have spent too much time online playing that Fantastic Contraption game. :21:

franken1_zpsm6hpbfjy.jpg~original

I think I can shrink all that quite a bit or perhaps just weld something permenant in there. Was kicking myself for not doing a disc setup on here but I pretty well commited to the ole centerpull.

I also had to move the 2.4 hawk to the front and the 2.2 plyte Hawk to the rear for clearance. These babies grow a lot when the weather gets warm. More of a BMX stance now so that's OK.

Also made some early BMX style struts out of alum tubing. These have about 4 inches of rubber under them and that seems to damp a lot of vibration. She really does ride sweet but looking a little weird. The fork spacing there won't let me get them close enough to go inside the seat.

franken2_zps8mnagavv.jpg~original

Just a wonderful bike to cruise around on and fun to bang through the gears. 50t ring (old one was 53) Get's me in the sweet spot of the cog for most cruising.

Not as cool as my son's Scrambler (The General Lee) but it will get there eventually. Rides to good to tear into.

My kid took a pic of it in his bike pic spot the other day.

franken_zpse6gfswwm.jpg~original

I will finish it.....someday:p

Looking really good. I don't know if you know about these sissy bars. They are $19 from www.bicycledesigner.com, The tube outside is 5/8".
DSCN0895.jpg

:39:...that would be perfect..hmmm. Thanks..Love that bike!

and thanks for the link. I see some things there I like. Seems silly to clean crusty bb cups when they have chrome ones for 4 bux.

Last edited:
So this brake adapter was always supposed to be temporary but I really couldn't come up with another way to do it. When I first started making it I thought to myself.."It would be nice if I could make this kind of Dura-Acey".

Didn't quite turn out that way the first time.:21:

franken1_zpsm6hpbfjy.jpg~original

Kept scratching my head as to how I could support those 2 cables. I decided to just take it apart and make a simpler adapter. When I got everything dis-connected I saw one of the cables resting just perfectly on the seat clamp bolt....hmmmmm..:39:.

So I just made a small, flat adapter an twisted the brake mount on the frame with a big crescent wrench with a piece of pipe on it.

Works the best of any setup I've tried so far.

brake4_zpseuswldex.jpg~original

Not quite Dura-Acey but it came out pretty Sheldon Browney which made me happy. I was just happy to get it to the "meh I can live with that" level.

Did a lot of sanding and polishing on it and it looks decent. I think I liked the first cable setup a bit better though.

brake5_zpsmlvpvfif.jpg~original

Will have to get a good closeup of the adapter. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Been a long time getting everything sorted and getting this ready to finally paint. This will be a quicky since I really want this one back on the road.

Going to try some cheap stuff this time.

paint2_zpsiiopaqph.jpg~original

Going to attempt a silver/charcoal/black fade on this.

She hates being in a box.

paint_zpskjoktcop.jpg~original

Oh and here's a close up of the brake.

brake8_zpsg1yo2sls.jpg~original

Works great like that. Will lock up that Chase Hawk easy with 2 hands pulling on the center pull.

Here she is a couple weeks ago.

roscoe_zpsyp92udlf.jpg~original

Goodbye blue!

skid_zpsb7ec92b0.jpg~original

blue14_zps95f03401.jpg~original

Was thinking about this ride the other day.

snow4_zps3603d964.jpg~original

Nothing like stripping original Schwinn paint. Candy comes right off but the silver underneath laughs at chemical strippers. It's coming off with some sanding though. Better get back to it.

Thanks Luke.

Got her in primer today. Had a crowd of bikes watching. My son has been riding my '64 Stingray with a short sissy and of course his General Lee. I did get my Fastback back from him though.

paint3_zpsmurwhcpj.jpg~original

My wife found that work stand on the neighborhood buy/sell/trade for forty bucks.

I squirted a little bit of the charcoal and black on last night. It's really gonna sparkle!

If the Rustoleum clear laquer sprays anything like the Rustoleum etch primer it should be nice. It was cheap for big cans.

Can't wait to spray this paint on there. Should be all downhill from here.

Last edited:
Stayed up all night last night because I was so excited to paint this tri-color fade.

Tricky with the spray cans. I was going back and forth between all 3 colors at the end. I used almost all of the charcoal even though you don't see it so much.

Not too bad. I brought it inside and will probably get the decals on there tonight.

paint4_zpsm562mevd.jpg~original

Got the seat pan primed and added a bolt to clamp the 2 pans together. (All real Scramblers will have such a bolt on the seat). I'm doing it to add strength for the suspension.

Got the wheels almost polished. I think the seat is all I need to get done now. That and decals and more clear on the paint.

Last edited:
Everything you build looks great! I wanna ride them all.

Thank you! I love having folks ride my bikes. They ride even better than they look like they would. 1X9 '69 Fastback still has a little bit of a chain dropping problem but I'll get that one sorted too.

Nice paint!

Luke.

Thank you Luke. Glad I waited until the time was right so I could do this fade. I bought all my parts with silver in mind but this works even better.

paint5_zpsctjioq2y.jpg~original

Everything for the fade paint job I got at Autozone for about 40 bucks. Except for the stripper/prep.

That will probably be it for this week. Back to work for me tomorrow night but next weekend I'm off for 6 in a row so it will be done soon.

Still have to do the seat. Need to find some stencils for that too.

Went back to plan A on the sissy. Using a Stingray bar to connect the Manitou suspension to the banana seat.

silver_zpsndgomghv.jpg~original

I like the look of the under seat struts for an early bmx deal but it just doesn't look right with the seat up high. I also like having the sissy on there so I can feel where I'm at on the seat.

Still need to stencil the seat and I'll probably re-do the cover first.

I decided to try the 2.4 Chase Hawk on the rear again since my new brake mount gives me a little more clearance. I like the thick one on the back better. Will have to see if it keeps off of the brake. I had a problem with it rubbing on hot days when the tire would expand.

Def like the looks/handling with the fatter tire on the rear. Front is a 2.2 Plyte Chase Hawk.

silver4_zpshqh8hmt0.jpg~original

silver2_zpsjdqhbdvb.jpg~original

silver3_zpsn3d8z5mm.jpg~original

silver5_zpsffnkto9v.jpg~original

Back