sweet wheels!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today my uncle gary came over. And one guy at his work apperently had a set of old bike rims he found in his attic, and I ended up with them!

I was so bored that right after I got them, I de-laced them. And I rebuilt and polished the hubs (shiny shiny!)
accaae00795411e2af9022000a1f9a23_7.jpg

Anybody know how to date these?

Currently, I am sanding on the spokes with a piece of 1000 grit sand paper. Tomorrow I will spray some paint stripper on the rims, and wirewheel the daylights out of them and hopefully shoot a coat of primer on them.

Unfortunatly, the rear hub is missing the break arm, dust cap and both of the lock nuts :( so, I'll need to look for those parts with decent chrome left on them.

Have you tried putting the spokes in a hand drill (mounted in a vise), spin the spoke pinched between the sandpaper. works pretty good.

I probably have those hub parts. shoot me a PM

Argh! I wish I wouldve checked here a while ago. I litteraly just got done, scrubbin every spoke with a piece of steel wool. Freakin' sucked! My hands are raw..

Walker said:
Have you tried putting the spokes in a hand drill (mounted in a vise), spin the spoke pinched between the sandpaper. works pretty good.

That needs to go in the HOW TO section
Brilliant!

charliechaindrive said:
Argh! I wish I wouldve checked here a while ago. I litteraly just got done, scrubbin every spoke with a piece of steel wool. Freakin' sucked! My hands are raw..

If you scrub off the cad plating they will eventually rust. Give them a shot of clear satin before you remount them. Gary

B607 said:
charliechaindrive said:

If you scrub off the cad plating they will eventually rust. Give them a shot of clear satin before you remount them. Gary
gary, I was planning on clearcoating them. Because I would kick myself if they rusted over again. I scrubbed them, all from either a tarnished battleship grey color, or just flat out rust, to a shiny reflective silver. My hands are still swollen from the steel wool. The spokes turned out to look almost new, spare from a couple kinks that I need to tap out on the lead block.

Back