SWINE FLU

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wondering how many folks on the forum have had confirmed cases of swine flu in their household.

A girl who babysat my three small kids on Friday came down with symptoms on Saturday and then was confirmed to have the swine flu this morning. :shock:

Wondering what the experiences have been like.

well, I work at a hospital and theyre pushing for everyone to get the shot. No confirmed cases yet.If you show symtoms of it or regular flu, ya get a 7 day vacation!! I hope Im right thinking its mostly hype...

They've been shutting down schools here in the Dallas area left and right.

So far we've had 6 deaths in Dallas county.

My boss's 9 year old daughter had it last week and is better now.

They've also run out of Tamiflu here in the DFW area....supposedly the hospitals are lined up with people.

We've had cases here in the Jax area, but the fatalities have been sick with something else before the flu, they won't say what though. I think they are trying to pad the numbers.

Down here is San Antonio we 've had some school closings and even on of the outer small cities closed down.As in they shut the entire city down, no police, no ems, no school. nada.

Purell anyone?

It's pretty quiet here in E. Cen. IL. Don't know anyone that's had it. This is one time I'm glad I'm old. Seems to be effecting older folks less than younger ones. Maybe we have some residual immunity from a previous flu type that was similar. (?) Gary

It's my understanding having a very close friend that is a doctor, that unless you, your kids etc have a compromised immune system, you have just as much, probably more to worry about with the garden variety flu virus that goes around every year.

It's the chance it will mutate that is really concerning and that has not happened yet. If your kids, assuming they are otherwise healthy got H1N1 right now, it might acutally be a good thing if this gets worse or mutates later this season. Hopefully they would carry enough antibodies from the initital infection to ward off a mutated strain.

So long as nobody is showing signs of pneumonia, extremely high fever, rapid breathing, turning bluish, it should be ok. If they have a fever that goes completely away, then comes back, go see the doctor.

I think you are correct in what you are saying Skoda.

My coworker's daughter was confirmed yesterday with H1N1 and our next door neighbors all have it now too.

I guess it will eventually move it's way up north as time goes on.

Our area has seen it but no school closures. They said it will come in 2 waves and we are at the tail end of the first wave.

I don't think anything of the "Swine flu". Remember a few years back? The Bird flu? That died off and now its all the Swine flu... Whats next?
How many people die each year due to the "regular" flu. Now there is the swine flu and there have been a few deaths all over. Media is all over it!

Use common sense, wash your hands, eat better and be healthy.

Our area has been hit...the neighboring middle school had 93 kids missing due to the flu-this is what my friend came up with, i have not heard from him since yesterday when he told me...
He did not know if it was regular flu or M1H1

Our school is finally offering shots, and a few people have m1h1 apparently...dont know them

I am NOT getting a shot...

My daughter caught it at s'kool,then I got it a few weeks ago (was pure heck,pardon the french)-am just now starting to feel close to normal (my normal,at least). The wifey had regular non-swine flu for a few days,and my boy...he's just had a consistant cough for a couple weeks,no flu of any kind thankfully.

Hope y'all don't get it :)

My wife, Kelly, works at our local Health Department and it seems that we're on the downside of the 'first wave'...My son was real sick for about 5 days (he missed trick-or-treat'ing :( ), and is fine now. They closed a few schools in our area in the middle of October. The grandson of one of my commrades at work was confirmed to have had the N1H1 and he's fine now, too...Like others have said, too much hype and bad information...Kelly couldn't believe how many calls she got from folks over 65, asking for N1H1 vaccines. The're the ones LEAST likely to get really sick from it... :roll:
skoda said:
So long as nobody is showing signs of pneumonia, extremely high fever, rapid breathing, turning bluish, it should be ok. If they have a fever that goes completely away, then comes back, go see the doctor.
Like he said...Take care all...

Last I checked (about 4 months ago) the swine flu had similar mortality rates as seasonal flu. The difference is in how contagious the swine flu is. WHO guidelines deal with how readily a bug spreads, not how deadly it is. So, the WHO is calling it a pandemic of the highest order, and people think it's the next black plague. Media outlets are broadcasting that there's a pandemic, exacerbating the panic. The WHO has justified its stance by asserting that the virus will mutate as it spreads becoming drug resistant along the way. The prediction is that once the virus is drug resistant it will mutate into something deadly, and there will be no way to fight it. Governmental agencies have picked up WHO's recommendations about vaccinations in order to stop this process.

To help with the panic, swine flu probably isn't going to kill you. If you get it, chances are you'll be sick for a few days. Use your head to not get sick. Wash hands, sleep, eat well, etc.

Right now getting the swine flu is more likely than seasonal flu, but just as not-so-deadly. You can get a vaccine for that reason, or not.

Based on WHO predictions: In the future, the swine flu will be more likely than seasonal flu, and potentially more deadly. And there will be no way to fight it. You can get a vaccine for that reason, or not.

About people 65+ calling the health department: Traditionally people 65+ have been in the first wave of vaccinations. They are also more likely to have a pre-existing medical condition that has gotten them qualified for preventative medicine in the past, but isn't doing the same now. It is odd to go from the front of the line to the back. Maybe even a bit anxiety producing when then line is for health care.

I was curious so I checked, feel free to look for yourselves.
confirmed deaths due to Swine flu this year, approx 1000
yearly average deaths for regular flu each year, 36,700
the actual study quoted that the numbers are based on deaths from 1990 - 1999 and ranged yearly from roughly 17,000 - 50,000 (not an exact quote)

Back