SWINGER Special- Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather is nice(kind of) and no skiing left so I guess it is time to play with bikes. I got out the old Polaroid to document as this bike will be inspired by an by gone era. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid_Swinger.
pol_swinger.jpg

Starting of with a "Liner" frame, nice chrome rims, and a NOS Mattress saddle. This parts all came from the local bike coop at economical prices. I plan on aquiring other parts needed from there as well except the tires. Everyone should really check out the local bike coop as place for parts and inspiration. While you are done there, volunteer your time and put those mad bike skillz to work.

550b5ebf.jpg

108d5eed.jpg

Re: SWINGER Special

Graylock said:
aka_locojoe said:
I'll play along :lol: Film will probably cost you more than your build :shock:

I thought the same thing but it sure will make an interesting thread. Where do you get film for that thing, Craigslist?

GL

I was joking. Look a little closer.

cman said:
You can find original Polaroid out there, but there is a new source for instant film. Somebody bought the Polaroid factory and producing speciality films. http://www.the-impossible-project.com/projects/about

But Randy is right. My new Android phone has an app that creates that finish.

You had me for a bit but then I actually started thinking about finding the film and then scrutinized the photos a little closer. All the time remembering your johnny story :D .

It is always fun to create a story to go with the build. fjsaak is the master story teller.

Hooch said:
I cant wait to see what you are up to :)

How about a new Headbadge? Cast in lead using the wood forms as I have done before. I will polish it up to make it pretty.

6096df7a.jpg

Re: SWINGER Special- Custom Headbadge- 5-7

sensor said:
Hooch said:
I cant wait to see what you are up to :)
he had to travel out of state just to find the film :lol:
love the badges

Thanks, The badges are so easy to create and melting lead is kinda theraputic. :mrgreen:

I picked out some of the paint but I ran out of color film, so you will just have to guess. :mrgreen:

13c49335.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
Graylock said:
aka_locojoe said:
I'll play along :lol: Film will probably cost you more than your build :shock:

I thought the same thing but it sure will make an interesting thread. Where do you get film for that thing, Craigslist?

GL

I was joking. Look a little closer.
Dog

GL

maybe I should nickname this " Tom Foolery" . First the polaroid then the black and white color pic. Hopefully I can dream up some other tricks. Front wheel is painted with the X Metal paint. That stuff is so fun to spray on. I wanted to find some more chrome just to try it out.

You'll have to let us now how easily the stuff scratches.

Rat Rod said:
You'll have to let us now how easily the stuff scratches.

I painted directly over the chrome. Goes on easy and doesnt' run easily. One my test piece it scratches with lots of pressure from a fingernail. I clearcoated just to be safe. After I put the tires on should not be much of an issue. If I could find the prep paint they reccomend, I would give it a try.

No pics update:
Painted front wheel with top secret Shiny paint.
Stripped the frame of parts.
  • -Stuck seat post came out with lots of beating.
    -Stem bolt broke and stem came out with lots of beating
    -Pedals came off with the help of the 3 foot cheater bar
    -Tank mounts have been ground off.

Paint reveal. Markm did the red annodized and looked to cool so I followed suit. Front wheel only so far.
dc642942.jpg

Back