tandem gearing, which sprockets?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a tandem out of two vintage Schwinns (a hollywood and a typhoon), and I am not sure I have the gearing correct. I used the two large front sprockets that were on the bikes originally as the front sprockets to link the two cranks together, and I used a smaller sprocket to run back to the rear wheel. I was thinking this would give me a lower gear, quicker starts and easier pulls on hills (this is not built for speed). Many of the pictures I have seen of tandems recently have the sprockets done exactly the opposite with the smaller sprockets linking the front cranks, and a large sprocket running to the rear wheel. I have riden this bike the way it is by myself, and also with my brother (we are both BIG boys) and it seems to work OK. Is there a reason what I am doing is wrong?
Thanks,
CHAZ

As long as the two sprockets that are connected at the cranks have the same number of teeth they will stay in synch. I think the gearing for the drive from the back crank is up to you.

Your gearing depends on the rear cranks sprocket (driving) going to the wheel sprocket. You are right, the fewer teeth on the driving sprocket will make it easier to pedal and will climb better, but it won't be as fast. The sprocket on the wheel does just the opposite, the smaller (fewer number of teeth) will make it harder to pedal, but you will go faster.

For example, my tandem (which is standard for most), has a 48 tooth drive sprocket and a 20 tooth sprocket on the wheel. If I put a 44 tooth sprocket on the rear crankset, the driving sprocket, it would make it easier to pedal, but my top speed would be less.

If I put a smaller sprocket on the wheel, say an 18 tooth sprocket, and kept my original 48 tooth drive sprocket it would be harder to pedal, especially when starting, but with enough leg power, it would go faster.

Yours may be a good combination, a smaller drive sprocket with a normal sprocket on the rear wheel making it a good gear ratio for you to ride. That would make it easier to get going and easier to cruise along but at a slower pace.

The sprockets that connect the front and rear cranks together don't effect the gear ratio.

Back