ORBO The Canal Crawler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It stopped raining so I could paint. Using acetone I removed the Specialized logo from the stem. Then I cleaned and polished the stem and my idler/tensioner strength plate. Coated it all with Metalcast spray imitation anodize. It came out real good. The flash did something to this picture. The coating is very even and the parts look good on the bike.

IMG_4400.JPG

Wrapping it up. Pointing out a few details I hadn't mentioned.

cockpit.JPG

When I ordered the idler/tensioner anodized red was cheapest. Next thing you know I added red anodized seat clamp, locking grips, bar ends, skewers, valve caps and coated the Specialized stem in metal cast red.

Heart of the build.JPG

Last edited:
Because the Canal Cruiser is geared low I thought this bulldog mascot would go well. According to the person who gave it to me it is from a 50 or 60s Mack truck. The light up eyes were missing so I epoxied bicycle ball bearings into the eye sockets.

IMG_4445.JPG

Some final shots showing the bike from a couple of perspectives

Non-drive final.JPG

I got to this canal head from the road on the non-drive side. Now I'm going to head down the canal that is to the right on a great machine for the situation.

Dual use, canal bank to right, road to the left.JPG

I like all the red touches! Those bottle repair kit holders are cool. I have a bottle shaped cable lock one that I use for around town. Retracts inside the bottle and has a hidden key / money compartment too.

DiRt RaT oN~!

When I ordered the idler/tensioner anodized red was cheapest. Next thing you know I added red anodized seat clamp, locking grips, bar ends, skewers, valve caps and coated the Specialized stem in metal cast red.
Lol that's classic technique, that's how they get you.

Thought of another part I remembered to install yesterday. Earlier I mentioned that the tensioner seemed too light so I reinforced it. I also, stripped the derailleur guard and coated it with red faux anodizing Metalcast. I reinstalled it to protect the tensioner.

IMG_4446.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back