The Cobbler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed a spare bike and threw this one together. I did welding, so it counts as a build. I made cable guides from an ink pen I cut up and zip tied them on there. I think it has that muscle bike look, with that 650b back wheel.
20220629_184236.jpg
20220701_205538_HDR.jpg
20220805_181112_HDR.jpg
20220805_181123_HDR.jpg
20220827_005810.jpg
Last one was me at a bar with zero bike parking. There was a group of us.

Last edited:
I have also two different ashtabula bmx 3pc I can put on it, once I get bolts for them. I love Cranbrooks, but I kinda want a bigger lighter frame to swap the parts on. I've been seeing these new cruisers everywhere, that look alloy, and might be bigger, no clue what they are.

So an update on the Cobbler; I had stripped parts from it with intentions to rebuild and donate it to the bike co-op last year. I kinda got bored with it and wanted something a bit lighter. Plus Cranbrooks seem to come and go in my life, this was my fourth or fifth one.

I more or less traded it for a '92 Giant Rincon at the co-op that was pretty much just missing wheels and probably could've used new cables. A bouncer at a bar I frequent had a 50s or 60s Schwinn cruiser stolen So I told him he could have it and just had to pick it up there, all left was to run a brake and let the manager know. I went there to finish to find some junky who went there often had claimed it as his.

So last month I found I found some heavy huffy 29er mtb and my friend needed a bike. I was going to give him the huffy, but it wouldn't have been a good fit and needed a few things. I took it to see if I could trade it for a bike I could work on, and found the Cobbler in the scrap pile. I was lucky they had everything I needed to get it up to about 97%; tires, brake lever, cables, wheels. Finding good tubes took up so much time that I couldn't finish it before they closed. I took some parts from a bmx bike in the scrap pile. At home all I had to add was the strap for the coaster torque arm, run and trim the brake cable and put grips on, a saddle. Basically built in a day.

So me and my friend had a falling out the next day or two, and now I'm stuck with it for now. Although it came in clutch as the only other running bike after my Prelude broke four spokes outta nowhere. I remembered how kinda fun it was to ride it. I still don't want it, though, since I have a Seachange to build. I'm contemplating selling it, making a stingray style lowrider, or saving it for my flip flopping girlfriend who keeps going between "I wanna bike," and "muh knees can't take it".
IMG_20240410_171908542.jpg

Latest posts

Back