The custom Hot Rod......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you asked
What holds the disc mount to the original hub?

it was all one pce.... cast alum...thats why I had to cut it off.

I'm sure there is an adapter out there but this hub and disc was FREE :mrgreen: (good words to hear) and I do not have to wait 2 weeks for it :D

besides...there is no fun if you can't build it yourself :D

so to attach this to the hub I will drill through the hub and use bolts to attach it

FW

Firewalker said:
so to attach this to the hub I will drill through the hub and use bolts to attach it

FW

so basicly, the piece you cut off the old hub... is just a spacer now ?

could you do the same thing with say... brake line and use thos for spacer sleeves between the hub flange and disk instead ? but i imagine that would not be as sturdy as what you got fixed up FW, not to mention look REALLY "make-do" too .

just tryin to dumb it down for us slower guys, ive never messed with a bike with a disc brake

CCR wrote ...... a good question I mite add! :D

brake line and use thos for spacer sleeves between the hub flange and disk instead ? but i imagine that would not be as sturdy as what you got

no you could not use brake lines. and you are right about it not being Sturdy and this is why

We have to do a little physics here.... A little Force and Momentum. no worry no math this time :mrgreen:

think now about the weight of the bike plus the rider, and how fast they may be going...how about down hill!

Now think about how much force it requires to stop in each !!!!! that is allot of pressure in a small area around the Hub. now think about how a disc brakes work....think of your front brakes on your car.

If you only used the brake lines as spacers and a great amount of force was applied to the rotor counter clockwise to travel, the spacers and bolts would then in turn twist! Why.....because there is nothing between each of the bolts/spacers. This force over time or even right away, would snap the bolts clean. This is why a one pce mounting bracket is required. The reason for this is to help distribute the force equally between all 6 bolts to the hub. :mrgreen:

To be honest I'm still a little leery even in this application. more bolts are better ( like you see on big rig rims). This is why industry makes disc brake hubs as one pce.

hope this helped

again good question! I would hate for somebody to short cut this and find themselves with no brakes on a hill going mock II lolol

FW

yeah, i kinda realized my idea was a little silly as i was typing it, but no pulled punches here :oops:

thanks for settin me straight FW

maybe the sleeve idea would work if the sleeves were mounted inside a cross section of steel pipe, or maybe im just get sillier as the day goes by, i was watchin the red green show earlier today :lol:

Back