The Flying Goose..is cooked!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Suicide King..............

Last year a buddy of mine gave me a cool AMF trike, I had given thought to restoring it to the best of my abilities. I think though I am going to have to borrow a couple things off it for this build! :?

I can always replace them or update them!

_MG_2919.jpg

_MG_2925.jpg

Hey All,

Did a little work, well to get the end result it seemed like it took forever! Just a little grinding of the front fork, in 90% humidity! :? My better half was there to record the action! :lol:

_MG_3963.jpg

I was able to fit the front wheel finally, I took off about a half inch of the fork to give it the slightest hint of a little rake, and of course widened the openings for the hub.

_MG_3977.jpg

Im not using this rear tire, first off I don't have the slightest idea how to mount it! :roll: I think its for an exercise bike? It looks cool, but ................ oh I don't know, maybe if can get it mounted. :wink:

This isn't the seat, I won, (if you can call it that) a shiny new red one off ebay, NOS, with the sissy bar also. Hey cut me some slack, I am new to all this!

_MG_3982.jpg

We have some friends who have sold their farm, I have been given free reign to rummaging through stuff in some of the barns. I am stocking up on barn wood, because I like to build bird houses.
Anyway most of the implement sort of items are gone, but there is a few piles of stuff heading to the dump.

I scored this light out a pile of stuff, I hope I can get it to work, I believe it use to be on a fender of a tractor.

_MG_3998.jpg

_MG_4002.jpg

There was also a old drill press, they said I could take it.......it works! :mrgreen:

_MG_4007.jpg

There is a fender off a ford tractor I am going to grab, I think I can fab up a tank with it!?

Anyway, hope you all had a nice Memorial Day! :D

looks good so far, but what impresses me the most is the pic of you grinding with your safety glasses on. 8) you have learned well, grasshopper! keep up the good work.

Re: Suicide King......Name Change (The Flying Goose)

Hey Everyone,

Other than the worlds greatest name change I don't really have anything great to report! :cry: I have been busy with other things, like most of us......work, bills, blah blah blah! :|

I have made some changes that really haven't been worthy of pictures larger front tire, cleaning, taking things apart for the umpteenth time, still can't decide on a color!

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

I am sure glad we have until august 1st!!!!!!!! :shock:

I have been watching everyones builds very closely and I am always impressed with everyones talent and imagination. More pictures soon! :wink:

Re: The Flying Goose... some cosmetic updates with pics

Hey everyone,

Well I have been plugging along with my build, nothing mind boggling for you mad fabricators, but nevertheless! :D I think I have spent more on tires and rims for this project than some of my cars in the past!! :wink:

I picked up the wheels from the "schwinnstore" off ebay, probably paid to much! My rear tire is a cheapy from Wally world, but it has a neat look to it. The front is a skinny one I picked up at our LBS, they are a good shop. They talk to me and not down at me, they even took me in the back where I found a Electra Fattie-O, I picked it up, but now I would need another wheel....24incher. :roll:

Anyway's this first pick is with the wheels and I shot the frame in a bright red just to see if I liked it, I do, but it screams "Hot Rod", not "Rat Rod". :?

DSC00093.jpg

I am also trying my hand at a tank, this is just a wood template, I have that fender that I want to try and do something with. I actually like the sissy bar hanging off it like that....

Next pics are just of it in primer.......after having shooting in red........DOH! :oops:

DSC00097.jpg

I am doing my bars, cranks, sprocket odds and ends in silver

DSC00095.jpg

I have yet another idea for a headlight, I dug up this old oil can, it screams "make me a headlight" :D

DSC00099.jpg

Oh, I have this little hood ornament that I want to somehow add to the Flying Goose............It's a swan, but I think it would look neat!

DSC00102.jpg

Still unsure about the final color choice, I picked up this misty green today. I thought it would like nice, maybe work in some faux patina with it and the red primer.

DSC00098.jpg

So anyways..................still an awful lot of things I would like to do.........it's getting close to crunch time!! :shock:

As always, you guys are killing me with your ideas and your builds!! 8)

Oil Can Headlight definitely a must; very kool!

Re: The Flying Goose... more stuff, but still no roller

Hello Everyone.........HI MOM and DAD! :D

Well I still don't have it ready to roll, but because I can't not go to a auction and buy something, I picked up a few odds and ends. I hope they make their way onto the bike, but........... :roll:

I managed to get these lights and lens in a box of junk.....they are real glass :!:

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

I thought this old brass fire extinguisher was cool, kind of looks like a pump......I might mount it up...

DSC00140.jpg

I tried making a seat post out of some pipe that was in a pile of odds and ends, it has a nice curve to it. I have messed up though, earlier I shaved off the top of my seat post......... :roll: So I am not to sure on what to do to keep it from spinning. Maybe use a beer can or something as a wedge around it like a sleeve? I then bent up another seat post to see if I liked that one better. fun making metal glow red! :lol:

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

here is the second post I bent up

DSC00255.jpg

This is me after I realized my seat post problem............

DSC00248.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to make some more actual progress!!!!

Oneuglybike said:
Hey everyone,

Well I have been plugging along with my build, nothing mind boggling for you mad fabricators, but nevertheless! :D

Let me see...Custom seat post, custom bars, custom tank, converting oil thing to light (very cool), custom tail lights, maybe an antique fire extinguisher, a GOOSE. Plus what ever else you have in mind.....No...No...Not much going on here! :lol:

Lookin Good!

You could try securing seat post using a grub screw system from the back of the frame so its out of the way ?
Can't wait to see the lights done ! :lol: :lol:

YA KNOW WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS BUILD?!? THAT YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO DO AND ARE HAVING FUN DOING IT. THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND. GO FOR IT GOOSE.CUE THAT AC/DC "STIFF UPPER LIP" SONG. I'M WITH YA ...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Theres nothin like some good old PB Blaster!!! have fun with it! I love that rust!

Re: The Flying Goose...we have till september right?

Well guys and gals, man only two or so weeks left! :shock: I need to find another gear it seems, I have been watching the builds, and they are all awesome in their own ways! I am at least at the stage of assembly, sort of, if it's not rolling by this sunday evening................ :? here are some pics of where it is and the mess that has been created in my little garage! :lol:

It seemed as though it was either raining or 100 degrees out, which really played havoc with my outdoor paint booth!

DSC00266.jpg

After much deliberation I accidentally found the paint colors I wanted to use, well almost first I had to go through some other ideas

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

Here is the current and absolutely horrible state of my little shop

DSC00331.jpg

Which makes me feel like this

DSC00338.jpg

But.........all is not lost, this is how things sit now

DSC00365.jpg

which make me feel more like this

DSC00360.jpg

I still have to put together my light and figure out my seat post and odds and ends, but at least it's painted.
I also have decided to try my hand at some striping, Hot Rod Jen is my inspiration and I hope that i do a decent job. :wink:

The headlight (oil can) should be mounted up like this when all is said and done, I am still working figuring out the guts of it!

DSC00272.jpg

Well it's that time!

DSC00357.jpg

Stay tuned!

Oneuglybike said:

I can't wait to see what that big a.z.z. seat is going to look like on your rig!

I am really digging the oil can headlight.

I'm enjoying your build thread. The reason, YOU are having fun. You, are building with the right attitude. .When YOU build with the right attitude, the bike can't help but have the "right" attitude..........I like this bike!

you have a lot going on were and a lot of different ideas nice way of thinking out side the box..or should i say out side the oil can... cant wait to see that...keep it up ...
jaysmo

Looks very COOL 8) I really like the wheel and tire combo :D Keep it up! :wink:

Well, I managed to not have my bike rolling this past weekend. Once again I fought little things that the most novice builder could figure out! By the time I had finished assembling the bottom bracket I could use a new coat of paint! The chain fought me the most, the rear wheel is a different size, so the cog is smaller now and throwing everything off by a half link. Faced with that I either have to order a half link or enlarge the rear dropouts. I managed. To make myself sick from the heat doing other things yesterday. So I didn't accomplish anything on it yesterday. Way past crunch time, have to double time it through the next week!

Back