The Goose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 miles,

I did 45 miles on monday, on my 3 speed camel back cruiser, it was on single track, fire roads and atv trail-swamp, it was great, most of the time I was ahead of my friend on his full suspension mountain bike and he couldn't beleive how i could ride an old 3 speed cruiser like that through the woods with a spinger, fenders and only a rear brake!lol :)

southp I do have a mailing list, just send me an email at xddorox at gmail.com and I will add you. I took the Goose out for critical mass tonite and rode it another 45 miles. This is the best bike I have ever owned. After more than 200 tries I have finally built the perfect bike for me. :mrgreen:

So tomorrow I'm volunteering as a mechanic for the annual Tour de l'Ile de Montreal. An annual event that attracts thousands of riders. I am dead set on using the Goose for this 65 km ride but they are announcing rain for Sunday. So today I went out to buy a set of Bike Planet MTB fenders for $20. I had a spare front fender from another project and decided to make a full wrap-around rear fender with it and some epoxy. What you have here is the working result. I have a bunch of holes and cracks to fill before the first coat of flat black and eventually the real color I will use on this project. Lots of surface for pinstriping! I also have to change the brackets for proper ones. The fork bracket of the front fender was moved forward so it wouldn't look out of place with the rear one. With the right brackets, those fenders will eventually look pretty good.

GooseFender1.jpg

GooseFender2.jpg

I like the fender! great touch!

Thanks for the comments guys. The fenders survived the little ride I had Sunday with 30 000 other people around the island of Montreal. I was a bit afraid that the epoxy wouldn't survive the 65 km(about 40 miles) day on the city's notoriously bad streets but it held together. Time to take them off and patch up all the holes for paint. I'll be painting this bike primer red for now and slap some pinstripes. It will look decent until I have time for a full blown paint job. I had a lot of fun doing the ride on this single speed. It was pretty cool to blow by people shifting their gears while climbing hills :mrgreen: southp the bars are 16 inches.

The Goose logged over 500 miles this summer with events like critical mass, night cruises with the Freaks and Hannan Choppers, usual solo cruises in and around Montreal and even outside of town. All that mileage Montreal's notoriously bad roads took it's toll on those plastic fenders and the connection I made for the rear one finally collapsed. I wanted to avoid steel fenders for the weight issue but it seems I have no choice. I used the fenders from Victoria and some 28 inch spares I had for her on the Goose. I connected 2 fenders to make the rear one with some pop rivets and the front one was just moved back. I won't paint this bike anytime soon since I'm kinda busy right now. But hey, it's a rat! Who cares how it looks as long as it runs for now, I'm happy. :D

Canon033.jpg

Canon034.jpg

Canon036.jpg

very nice!

The fenders look awesome! They give the bike some personality, kinda like it won't take crap from anybody! Very cool! Don't worry about painting it cause it looks great as is!
Thanks,
Chainy

I will paint the entire bike but probably next spring. Right now this is the only functioning ride in the fleet and I need some all weather wheels. I do like it's present look but I'm thinking of going primer red with a white front end. Thanks for the great comments guys, I like this bike a lot.

thats one nice looking bike! sorry i didnt get around to posting exactly how to stamp the plates... had a bad cold and was laid up for awhile. but what id been doing was taking a wire coat hanger and bending it to shape half of the curved letters and flipping it over for the other half, small flat head screw drivers for all the straight letters and such one long peice of hanger bent for the outer line of the plate. then lining everything up on the back and hitting onto a block of wood with a 3# drilling hammer then finshing off with a dinging hammer(from the frontside) to even everything out. again great looking bike and LOVE the sectioned fenders!!!

I like this bike alot. U need a prewar laid back seat post for it.

Well here are the pictures of my week end project. Bought 2 Kenda flame tires that ended up costing less for both than one Maxxis Hookworm that I wanted to get in the first place, $30 worth of stickers and paint (Krylon rust tough primer red and Nissan yellow for the wheels), total cost of the project $70. I'm real happy with the result and apart from some accessories that might end up on it in the future, I consider it done. Don't expect pinstripes anytime soon since me and the paintbrush are not seeing eye to eye lately. Thanks to outsider13 for his Pretty lady that was the inspiration to get this thing finished in a hurry.

Canon008-2.jpg

Canon004-3.jpg

Canon006-3.jpg

Back