The Hangover Cure

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in with these.
web.jpg

Probably shooting myself in the foot but I'm going to use a Schwinn frame. I've not decided on the front end yet. I love Rust Rocket Deluxe so I'm going to try and do a raked fork, with a fat rear tyre and a skinny up front.
web.jpg

A skinny 26 x 1+⅜ and a fatter 24x3.0
web.jpg

And a new chain guard.
Still got to take a few other parts off bikes that I got laying around.

Good luck to all you other builders. Loads of people doing great things already, so I better play catch up.
Cheers Jonnie

Thanks herr_rudolf for the dutch courage

My aim is to have fun and I'll need all the luck I can get. Have you seen the competition?

I didn't get much done tonight except getting a few more parts together.
web.jpg

I took the rack and fork from a Sparta Scout. It's a really solid dutch bike, but far to big for me so I'm happy to be using some parts. And the length of the steering tube means I can cut it to size.
web.jpg

My idea is to have a bear metal frame with a wooden tank. Then the rear rims and chain guard will be splashes of colour. Just what you need after a night out. :D I think the contradiction will work, or it'll make you haever.
Cheers Jonnie

Haven't had a lot of time to spend on this build. But I spent what time I had last night bending forks.
web.jpg

Hoping to get some time this weekend to clean some of that old paint off and get the forks and the rack freed of their surplus metal.
Cheers Jonnie

cool lookin stance you got there , love that Rust Rocket Deluxe, i like your Direction, but be careful ; you may end up with a pedal scraper ! oh and i'm diggin that vintage leather seat. 8)

Very nice of you to say. And I appreciate the heads up on how much I can get away with raking those forks out. First time I've done anything like this, and I already went too far with the set of forks I did my test bending on.

I managed to do a couple of things yesterday. First off I was trying to figure a way of getting a layback to fit the small dia. seat tube on the schwinn. Lucky 7s are pretty rare round here so I thought I would have to fab something up. After reading garagegoon and yoothgeye's discussion over on "Lucky Strike" about dealing with a cut down seat tube and where to put the clamp. It was the use of a stem that I basically liked so much I decided to borrow and kill two birds…
web.jpg

Sadly a drop stem had to give it's head for the benefit of my bike.

I also managed to rid most of the frame of rust and paint.
web.jpg

Once I replace the wire brush I take the paint off the forks and rack.
Cheers Jonnie

druggedonions said:
Haven't had a lot of time to spend on this build. But I spent what time I had last night bending forks.
web.jpg

Hoping to get some time this weekend to clean some of that old paint off and get the forks and the rack freed of their surplus metal.
Cheers Jonnie
looks like a hotrod taxi cab with that yellow fender and the rear white wall! 8)

Okay, time to dust off the rust dust and pull myself off of page three :shock:

Haha, Imagearchy the first bike I did was a Taxi themed cruiser http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19450&p=197822#p197822
The fender is not going to be yellow for long - I hope.

I've been busy with my family, our youngest is waking up at 4.30 am so that's put pay to late nights in the garage. Also we've been busy at work with an arts festival and I've been finishing off another build, so time has been pretty limited for building a bike for myself. However, tonight's artist was turning up a good while after I'd been called to work so with the kids in nursery I took the opportunity to put some time in on this build.

Last week I managed to weld (if you can call it welding) a seatpost as the racing stem wasn't working out. I haven't tossed the idea out altogether though but more than that later.
First off was to slam the seat.
web.jpg

I chopped the legs on the rack and squashed the open tube together to drill through.
web.jpg

With the seatpost on the bike chopped I dropped my badly welded seatpost in and tried the seat for position
web.jpg
8)
As you might be able to tell I got the rack, forks and the rest of the frame cleaned up. We've rain forecast this week so they're all going outside so they match the seat.

That's all for now, on with the show. I've got some lighting to sort out and I've to make a trip north to work on my tank and handle bar grips.

Cheers Jonnie

Edited to re-do links to photos.

:oops: :?

Thanks for the heads up man. I'll look into it.

Cheers Jonnie

Re: The Hangover Cure (My head hurts)

As I mentioned before, the drop stem didn't work. I had to grind it down so much to fit that I was worried about the wall being too thin. I thought I could fit the quill bit into the seatpost that I had put together.
web.jpg

I cut the tube to the same angle as the quill.
web.jpg

I had to extend the thread as it didn't go far enough up the bolt.
web.jpg

But it works :D I may have to sink the allen bolt head a bit. But the seatpost is held securely in the seat tube. Shame about the rest of my home made seatpost. Oh well, it's all abouyt learning new skills and having fun.

Cheers Jonnie

Thanks for the encouragement fellas.

I've managed to do bits and pieces. Finally got some cranks on this bike and guess what? They hit off the ground first time out. Took out my tape measure and they're 190mm long :shock:
web.jpg

but I kind of prefer this
web.jpg

What do you guys think. I'm kind of blessed as I can flip the bars just by undoing the four bolts.

Then this happened after the steel bending under my weight and me bending back into place a couple of times. :oops:
web.jpg

Surprisingly not my welding that gave first. So I got to make myself another seat post, if anyone has a ratty way of hardening steel I'd love to hear it. Whilst I'm at it I've decided to weld the rack to the frame as I don't like the look of the bolts.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers Jonnie

Hey Jonnie. I like the way the bike is coming along. I like the inverted bars too. a suggestion for them would be to use a longer gooseneck (actually like the one you originally cut up for a seatpost) to put them forward a couple inches?

ScurryMurray said:
Hey Jonnie. I like the way the bike is coming along. I like the inverted bars too. a suggestion for them would be to use a longer gooseneck (actually like the one you originally cut up for a seatpost) to put them forward a couple inches?

Thanks Murray. I have to admit I didn't want to do as you suggested at first, but as I was looking for a new front rim (more on this later) I thought I'd look out for a drop stem too. I managed to find one with a short neck. I borrowed it for a mock up.
web.jpg

What do you think?
The stem had a really wide space for the bars so the old bars wouldn't fit. There are quite a few bars kicking round the garage so I threw one on that I thought would work.
web.jpg

I'm liking this more than I thought I would. It isn't what I was aiming for but I feel it works well together.

So, back to the rim. I made the fundamental error of trying to lace a 36h hub into a 40h rim. Only to come up short. Anyway, as stated earlier I found another rim, nicer than the one I was going to use 8) And it and a couple of other things are getting blasted tomorrow.

Cheers for now.
Jonnie

herr_rudolf said:
I think I even prefer this rack than that on 'our' Rustrocket Deluxe...
Bars and stem look great, but I have something against a larger rim in the front.
Great looking bike though. 8)

Thanks and curses to you herr_rudolf, in equal measure. I was hoping not to have to play my trump card this early but you've drawn my hand.

5cee8c5e-8911-d9f0.jpg
; )

Cheers Jonnie

Back