The Huffman Build you don't want to miss(Bike Show #2!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss!(Update 1/11)

Here is the pictures after I polished up the sprocket and cranks. Also I tried to get a picture of the shine the frame has after the clear coat dried.

The Frame After the clear coat.

P1110239.jpg

The chainguard after the clear coat.

P1110243.jpg

After I polished up the chrome plate on the Forks.

P1110242.jpg

Shinny cranks :mrgreen:

P1110230.jpg

Rusty Cream Pedals :mrgreen:
At first they where locked up, so I when and got some liquid wrench and sprayed it into the pedal bearings. Then I put the pedal in the vise and worked it back and forth until I could break it free and could spin it by hand. Last I put it up to wire brush and got the bolt to spin. The wire brush made the bolt spin really fast. Now the pedals that where once locked up with rust and unusable, spin freely like the are brand new. If that doesn't make sense to anyone let me know and I will post pictures with a step by step guide. It's a great tactic for saving old pedals.

P1110233.jpg

The roads are still iced up and the Mail isn't running. This means the Parts I need for the bike where not coming today, so I decided to practice my pinstriping and lettering. :mrgreen:

P1110244.jpg

P1110246.jpg

Looking good bud! Those pedals are gonna look great with the tires you've got coming. Good call on keeping the ratty blue and cream paint. I'll bet DonOne is liking it too!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Your "lettering"....Nice and simple with a BIG effect! COOL!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Looking good bud! Those pedals are gonna look great with the tires you've got coming. Good call on keeping the ratty blue and cream paint. I'll bet DonOne is liking it too!

Cheers!
Dr. T
Yes He Is :D

KOTA said:
Your "lettering"....Nice and simple with a BIG effect! COOL!
Thanks, I don't have time to practice much but with all this snow I had all the time I needed. I'm still not good enough to do my own pinstriping for my bikes yet. Maybe someday I will get to that point. Even better get to the point that my Works is worth some money. Right now its just valuable to me :lol:

KJV said:
looking good.
what happen to rain,snow,sleet,or hail..
we will deliver the mail ?
I gone 2 day with nothing from USPS or USP! :x

I'm really liking where you're going, I think you ought to look into these tires, they have a really cool vintage look to them, and everyone is using the Quick Bricks. they're 26 x 2.35's I'll figure out the brand and stuff for you if you're interested.
white_tires_1.jpg

white_tires_2.jpg

white_tires_3.jpg

I have already bought some cream tires but I still would like to know what those are. :D

Looking good :mrgreen:

Each, unfortunately. BUT, if you order through the Electra dealer (there's one on the East-West Connector) they typically don't mark them up, you just have to pay sales tax.
So, at the dealer, 35.99 x 2 (71.98) + 6% sales tax (4.32) = $76.30!
Amazon, 32.75 x 2 = $65.50. I couldn't tell what shipping would run, but if it's under $11.00.....

Honestly, for the Huffman, you're go 'rat' right? Use the older ones you have coming already. Now for the Monark restore you're working on......hmmmm... :wink:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: The Huffman Build you don't want to miss!(Update 1/13)

I started progress on the leaf springer fork today. First I cut the golf cart rear leaf spring in half. At first I thought that I could weld the Leaf spring directly to the fork but my local welder said that it wasn't safe because the material leaf springs are made of will not weld good and my crack or break loose. He sold me a sheet of 1/4 inch steel that I used to make a plate to bolt on to the leaf spring to then weld to my forks. This should keep the Weld from breaking through and keep the Leaf Spring on tight. 8)

Also during this Process I discover that the forks that came with the frame where slightly bent and couldn't be used. Now my leaf spring will be made with a set of blade forks. :oops:

P1130252-1.jpg

P1130253-1.jpg

P1130254-1.jpg

P1130257-1.jpg

Having seen this bike in person, it's gonna be really cool. I think you're right about the fork color, don't paint it cream, strip it and get it to look like the leaf spring. I may have something to help achieve the color. The cream tires will be enough up front. I'll dig up that weathered stem and get it to you ASAP.

Not sure what you're doing on the wheels, but if you go with painted rims, check out the color Cameron used on his 'Orient Express' rims.

Talk to you later,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Having seen this bike in person, it's gonna be really cool. I think you're right about the fork color, don't paint it cream, strip it and get it to look like the leaf spring. I may have something to help achieve the color. The cream tires will be enough up front. I'll dig up that weathered stem and get it to you ASAP.

Not sure what you're doing on the wheels, but if you go with painted rims, check out the color Cameron used on his 'Orient Express' rims.

Talk to you later,
Dr. T
I will have to see what Josh sends me First. If the amount of rust matches the front wheel I will leave it rusty. But if the wheel he sends is in nice shape I will go with what Cameron did. :D (Does that make sense?)

the wheel im sending has a good bit of surface rust on it but it seems solid. it still has the original dark blue paint on it with white pinstripes underneath the rust. the morrow hub you're getting as it turns out is a blackout hub, didn't realize that today until i took it apart and cleaned it up and rebuilt it. . . . and i want one of those leaf spring forks!

highwheelerboy25 said:
the wheel im sending has a good bit of surface rust on it but it seems solid. it still has the original dark blue paint on it with white pinstripes underneath the rust. the morrow hub you're getting as it turns out is a blackout hub, didn't realize that today until i took it apart and cleaned it up and rebuilt it. . . . and i want one of those leaf spring forks!
OK cool never had a black out before :D and I will see what I can do about getting you a leaf springer fork :wink:

Back