The "New" Electric Rat re-worked

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I had recently posted a gallery thread for this motorized bicycle that I bought from forum a local forum member:

2dl7wcx.jpg

I rode it for a while as it was, and really got to like the motor setup, but I got sick of the road bike part rather fast. The Derailleur was causing some serious slippage through the gears and I couldn't get it to adjust much, and decided a cruiser frame would be much more preferable because of my height, and after three hours today, here is the "new" motorized rat...

As it began:

2dvpr7o.jpg

And with modifications mostly done (there are still some little issues to clear up):

15ppxc3.jpg

4vfxc3.jpg

5ahoua.jpg

The fender braces are a bit worn at the ends where they mount to the frame or fork, and the rivets themselves holding the braces and fenders together are a little shaky. The front fender brace is broken badly on one side where it is mounted to the axle, and I think due to that and the dents in the rear fender, as well as rear fender brace issues, I will likely get another set of fenders. Somehow, I drilled the hole to mount the lower motor bracket (through the fork crown) really, really crooked (I don't have any idea why I didn't catch it before I finished) and I might swap the fork out for another I have because of that error. I need to clip the cables to the frame better, and the wheels need a little truing and the regular cleaning and greasing. I may swap the seat out for a spaceliner style crashrail seat, and possibly swap the bars out for some that are a bit longer. I will be adding a second battery for sure, and will likely be rewiring everything. The bicycle is ride-able now, though, which was my goal for today at least. :D

Thanks Rick, felt to me like it took way longer than it should have to get this on there :D

Is that a gel-cell or a lead acid battery?

If lead acid...you might want to integrate some of these into the baskets:
31MOir-N1tL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hadn't though of that :shock: I think the baskets protect the batteries pretty well, though, and the top speed is 25 mph anyway, so no high speed accidents will involve this bike :lol:

Well strap 'er in there good...batteries are generally happier if they are not bouncing around :wink:

i've seen a few of these around here, but usually hooked up to a mountain bike. like how you made a front wheel drive and technically if you pedel as the electric moter propels the bike, its an "all wheel drive". great use of baskets for the battery, id just worry about the bikes balance being thrown off. at least you got the overhang of the electric moter to counter balance the battery. what kinda range you gettin on this? it would be cool to get it easy to hook up to a charger at night to ez recharge the batteries. nice work and it should clean up well. :D

Thanks guys :D Yes, I don't think acid drips would be too good. :lol: ...But I don't really see it happening. The motor tops out at about 25 or 30 MPH on a really full charge. Unfortunately, the battery doesn't hold a charge all that well anymore, and I need a new one. That's fine, because I planned on buying a set of two new ones anyway- I'm going to hook a second up, as well as re-wire the whole setup. That should freshen it up quite a bit and should provide me with a longer riding time as well as top speed. :lol: I'm taking the fenders off, and swapping the fork out... Might work on it this afternoon, actually... I've got plans to try and make some kind of generator for it, just don't know how yet.

unchained, check specs in regards to motor, im sure that you can use either lawn mower to scooter batteries that are lighter and smaller in dimensions and still have the volts and amps to do work.

optima has several types and they are leak free and can be mounted on its side.

rustbucket said:
unchained, check specs in regards to motor, im sure that you can use either lawn mower to scooter batteries that are lighter and smaller in dimensions and still have the volts and amps to do work.

optima has several types and they are leak free and can be mounted on its side.
I thought about gel or glass mat cycle batteries as well, but I don't know what kind of reserve capacity they hold.

Back