The Shooting Star - 6/11 - DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Road King

dude, that is one awsom frame. you go. yep, the Lady's are a comin, and comin on strong. little boy bikes, better watch out. lol

Outlaw

Re: Road King

Well I'm gonna use my "one frame swap" card. This is one of the 30 bikes I picked up the other day. I think its a better bike to build since its complete with parts that already fit and it has a tank. Its an old Murray...anyone got a guess on a year? I think its a stratoflite or stratoliner or something like that. It is a ballooner but someone put middleweight tires on it. EVERY single nut and bolt came right apart on this one without breaking, I couldnt believe it! I will be using the bars off of the Road King. The frame/fork were originally a mint green, the tank, rack, fenders and guard were a metallic green. The rims were white with a red stripe. Rear hub is a Musselman (those are nice right?)

murray1.jpg

murray2.jpg

murray3.jpg

murray4.jpg

murray5.jpg

murray6.jpg

murray7.jpg

murray8.jpg

Re: Road King * NEW BIKE - MURRAY * No Name Yet

Started strippin' paint today. Used the only wire wheel had had left, down to nothing, cant find new ones at menards or anywhere else anymore. Weird because I used to buy them there all the time. Gonna call around tomorrow.

Bike has to be done by June 11th..

frame.jpg

Re: Road King * NEW BIKE - MURRAY * No Name Yet 5/29

get er done i like the frame like that

Used the only wire wheel had had left, down to nothing, cant find new ones at menards or anywhere else anymore.
Do you have a Northern tool & equipment store up there? They always have that kinda stuff. ~Adam

you go dude, that Lady is sic. oh yeah, me like this better.

Outlaw

Rustinkerer said:
Used the only wire wheel had had left, down to nothing, cant find new ones at menards or anywhere else anymore.
Do you have a Northern tool & equipment store up there? They always have that kinda stuff. ~Adam

I'm not sure. I found 2 today at Ace hardware, there already gone haha. Got a lot done though...pics later

Re: Road King * NEW BIKE - MURRAY * No Name Yet 5/31

Heres about a week of updates. Been real busy working on this so no time to come on here

Everything is stripped and in at least primer. Frame is painted, tank is almost done.

I got my star sprocket in the mail from backpedaler last week as well.

Watermelon pink

murray.jpg

murray2-2.jpg

Before and after on rims: (both are done now)

murray3-2.jpg

4 days left!

Re: The Shooting Star - 6/7

Well heres the final updates from yesterday and today. I spent 15 hours outside today, thankfully I got the day off so I was able to finish the bike! Walmarts chains aren't long enough for a bike, so I had to run and get another one to splice about 5 more inches in. Got all the paint done, and 3 coats of clear on everything. Bought a new Bontrager seat with crash rail today, new stem bolt, NOS grips, and added a set of vintage pedals. I ended up scratching the blue spray paint off the headbadge with my fingernail, worked perfectly. Cleaned and rebuilt both hubs. Bought new chrome spokes and nipples yesterday and rebuilt the rims today. Thanks backpedaler for the star sprocket!

I reused all of the original parts except for the chain, seat (pan was rotted), tires/tubes, spokes/nipples (rotted), crank/sprocket, and of course added bars and stem that were missing

My girlfriends birthday is today (thursday) so I made my deadline!!

If its not raining tomorrow I'll get good pictures with my camera

mur6.jpg

mur5.jpg

mur1.jpg

mur2.jpg

mur3.jpg

mur4.jpg

herr_rudolf said:
wow! that turned out great! Cool to see the freshly painted parts seperately. But I do think your bike deserves some better photography... It would help holding the camera to a fixated object in your workplace while pushing the button.

Again, nice work!

Thanks! The pics were taken on my cell phone, thats why they look crappy. I am definitely going to take way better pics with my camera, I just hope the rain stays away tomorrow.

Back