The Way Out Suburbanite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Way Out Suburbanite Instant Airstream... 5/13

WoW thanks for all the awesome comments, I'm glad everyone likes the build so far! :D

I can't wait to see it done :D That trailer is SWEET :mrgreen:

I have nothing to update, but thought I would would show everyone, what inspired this build...well at least its name!

Daddy.jpg

Schweetcruisers said:
Found this Brushed Steel Shelf paper at Lowes..it looked better in the packaging!
DSC00052.jpg

Uggghhhh...Just a guess, but if you hit if with a gloss paint or cover with a resin it might give you that in the package look again :roll:
I would do a test first though as I have never run into this. Looks great! The trailer is a wicked idea!

Wow, how to ruin all progress you made this week.....

1) strip off all the brushed steel shelf paper because the wood expanded or contracted, and it bubbled and wrinkled.( I didn't like the way it looked anyways)

2) touch up a small nick and have the clear base coat you applied 6 months ago to seal the frame so it wouldn't rust reacted with the new paint.

3) finally get the wrinkles out of the touched up spot and have the frame fall over, so... you decide to strip it all down and start over.

So today I took 2 steps back and 1 baby step very little forward, I did get the trailer frame painted with the color shifting paint, the trailer body mounted to the frame, the trailer wheels disassembled and painted.

Re: The Way Out Suburbanite...how to distroy all progess I made

I totally feel for you. That sucks to have it all come crashing down (no pun intended) in one day. At least it is still early enough in the build off to get your bike back where you want it to be.
I spent some time tonight stripping the paint on my bike as well. You are not alone.

I never drop a frame unless it has a good fresh paint job on it.

Did the clear coat on the bare metal last when you originally did it? I'm thinking of doing my frame that way but wonder if it will hold up for a few seasons.

Wildcat said:
I never drop a frame unless it has a good fresh paint job on it.

Did the clear coat on the bare metal last when you originally did it? I'm thinking of doing my frame that way but wonder if it will hold up for a few seasons.

Yes...this was the thrid frame I clear coated, I like Rust Oluem Clear Gloss Lacquer. Just don't paint over it! :oops: I usally apply 3 coats to give it some depth.

aww man that paint was schweet. hope it all turns out well. just dont touch up the nick next time. :wink: :lol:

I know the feeling. Had a bike fall over and leave a nice long jagged scratch down to the metal in my Tiki Time project this weekend. :( Hope you're back up to speed soon.

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Did you mix paint brands? :(

just a little bit:

So when I pulled out of the Anything Goes Build, I cleared the bare metal frame with Rust Oluem Clear Gloss Lacquer, to prevent rust, well I didn't feel like sanding the clear off and Two weeks ago I primed over the Lacquer with Valspar Red Primer with NO interactions. Then I top coated the Primer with the three stage Dupli-color Mirage paint and still NO interactions. Where the problem happened I needed to do a paint touch up on the seat tube, I sanded the paint down to the bare metal and it exposed the Clear Lacquer on around the edges of the area I was repairing, and the Dupli-color reacted with it. I now have the frame striped down to metal and the base coat reapplied....I really hate rattle cans!!

There is always something...If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Hang in there, you have a nice build going! :)

"Yes...this was the thrid frame I clear coated, I like Rust Oluem Clear Gloss Lacquer. Just don't paint over it! I usally apply 3 coats to give it some depth."

Thanks, that settles it, I just hope the welds look good on the old frame.

Latest posts

Back