These Grips are Awesome!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hunting down a good price on Brooks saddles and I saw these. They are the nicest looking grip I have seen, but I just cannot justify the money. They are almost as much as a saddle!!!

imgWrapper.aspx

Dan

they are cool but look a little modern to me at least the ends do. and oh yea the huge price kinda hurts them. i will keep my ol schwinn and hunt wild grips thank you i am way too cheap :D

I'd wrap/glue an old worn out pair of leather work boot laces to the bar ends before spending that kind of cabbage.

i'm wiorking on my own version of thoses grips for my ratfink....pics to come later

Maybe I will try to make a set with the shoe lace trick.

They will look the same, but the Brooks ones are discs that are stacked. I just decided to drop the coin on a seat, I can't swallow this yet.

Dan

how much are they over there? here they retail for almost 35 bucks. then again brooks stuff is still made in england and not in china so you get what you pay for

karfer67 said:
how much are they over there? here they retail for almost 35 bucks. then again brooks stuff is still made in england and not in china so you get what you pay for

Ummmmmm....you mean Lucas? :lol: :lol:

Dan

Here are my own version of the grips with leather shoe laces.
I used somecontact glue to hold the leather to the rubber, at the ends i added some crazy glue to lock the strigs also on their sides.

original grip.: odi lockon
IMG_0182.jpg

first test
IMG_0184.jpg

end result with black shoe laces to fit my project... glue is not all dried yet.
IMG_0186.jpg

I will have to repaint the metal rings and let everything

Homemade version?

Ratsters,

These grips got me thinking. If things go as planned, my Rat will have large OD apes (1 1/4"-1 1/2"). Given the girth of these bars, you really don't want a fat hand grip.

So I'm thinking, how would it be if you drilled a hole say 5 inches from the end of the bars. Thread some leather lace thru the hole and out the end of the bar. Then from the drill hole, start tightly wrapping the lace around the bar until you get to the end, then secure it to the other end of the lace which came thru the bar.

I think it'd look super clean on the bars. We'll see…

Spin

Re: Homemade version?

spinman said:
Ratsters,

These grips got me thinking. If things go as planned, my Rat will have large OD apes (1 1/4"-1 1/2"). Given the girth of these bars, you really don't want a fat hand grip.

So I'm thinking, how would it be if you drilled a hole say 5 inches from the end of the bars. Thread some leather lace thru the hole and out the end of the bar. Then from the drill hole, start tightly wrapping the lace around the bar until you get to the end, then secure it to the other end of the lace which came thru the bar.

I think it'd look super clean on the bars. We'll see…

Spin

that a great idea!

Back