RRBBO13 THICK as a BRICK <Last peek!>

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New chain video:

Other stuff:

IMG_4984.JPG

Chain installed on bike.

IMG_4985.JPG

New grips. Shortened bar ends two inches.

IMG_4986.JPG

New seat post to lower seat.

IMG_4987.JPG

Hmmmmm....

IMG_4988.JPG

Did some swap meet shopping...

IMG_4989.JPG

Here's where we're at.

Last edited:
Not a huge thing, but I'm kinda in love with these little parts I found at the motorcycle store. They're titanium colored bungee cord holders. I'm going to try not to go overboard with them, but I've found several places where they look cool. They really class up the front fork, and I'm working on an idea for a bike stand that will support the bike from the crank bolts, so I may use them there too. I also like the way they sort of tie in with the bar ends.

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

Getting ready to work on some bigger mods tomorrow.

Yeah they're really nice ... it would be cool if BO'fers could submit a finished shot and one of their favourite close-up shot. I like the little details
Very good point about multiple shots of the finished build. In our Pedal Car - Wagon - Cart build off we did last Fall, we allowed 2 final photos per entry, just to have a couple of looks at the builds.

I like your idea of the close-up shot @arty dave !

Unless something has changed, you can submit as many photos as you want of your finished build. There is usually someone who puts together a gallery of the bikes using your first photo, but you can take as many pictures as you want. One year one guy even travelled like 600 miles or something to the salt flats to photograph his salt flat themed bike. I know I'm planning on taking a bunch.

Unless something has changed, you can submit as many photos as you want of your finished build. There is usually someone who puts together a gallery of the bikes using your first photo, but you can take as many pictures as you want. One year one guy even travelled like 600 miles or something to the salt flats to photograph his salt flat themed bike. I know I'm planning on taking a bunch.
Right, but the voting thread only includes one photo. Our point was, it would be nice to have a full bike shot, and a close-up of a unique feature included in the voting thread.

Just wanted to post a little update since I haven't posted in a while. Started working on the "tank" area, made a template, then transferred that to foam board so I could mock it up with the correct thickness. Good thing I did, because I found out it will never go in as one piece. Going to make the final out of 1" thick wood, but it will have to be in two pieces to get it between the frame rails. Just need to figure out how to achieve the same look without adding too many extra fasteners or brackets. Then I got busy, but I'll get back to it soon. Just need to transfer what is in my mind to reality.

IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_5051.JPG

I think it would be fine with the three you have unless the wood is going to be exposed to weather where it might warp.then use like a short piece of all thread with cap nuts on each side.

Still thinking about different ways to approach the tank. The longer I wait, the more ideas I come up with so I wanted to hold off a little longer for final inspiration.

In the meantime I moved on to something else. Before I get too far into engineering it I wanted to get some opinions. If this were a normal fat bike wheel I would have been done already, but the weird offset and dishing are making me rethink my plans. I always envisioned a set of wheel discs for the rear wheel of this bike, but if I can't make it look right I think I'm ok with the way the rear wheel is without it. In fact, if I can make it easy enough to remove I may run it both ways.

I got tired of cutting and shaving things for the night, but this gives you an idea of how it might look:

IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG

Cool use of a rubbermaid trash can lid. It looks cool from this side. But knowing the how that wheel and frame dropouts are on the other side, I don't picture it working out very well on that side. Actually, it seems like it would almost have to be recessed into the rim an inch or two for it it fit on that side. I can feel you pain on that.

I would suggest not using them, unless you figure a cool way around that issue. Even if was normal wheel and dropouts, I think that discs on a fat wheel take away from the visual depth and coolness that you normally get from seeing how wide and cool the rims are.

Good luck!

I agree with KF. Those wide fat coppertone rims need to be seen!
The balance between the two wheels, frame and rim colors, and the rear and front of the bike completely change with the discs.

I like your idea of a 'tank' insert. Maybe a flat metal piece with a number on it? Since your bike has a race vibe already with the dropped bars?

I remember the first time I saw one of those frames, I thought the rear had been hit.

I can see where the non-drive side would present a challenge.

Could you post a rear view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank idea... Suspend a thick piece of plexiglass with all the holes predrilled, then attach the wood sides to give it the floating look. There are good hidden fasteners available or even heavy duty velcro would work.

Carl.

Tank idea... Suspend a thick piece of plexiglass with all the holes predrilled, then attach the wood sides to give it the floating look. There are good hidden fasteners available or even heavy duty velcro would work.

Carl.

I used clear plastic hangers for this floating window look on Shelby Flyer Woody. I think they were for securing mini blinds at the bottom of the window.

IMG_20151109_121016.jpg

So, traditionally this is the point in the build-off where I realize I'm in over my head and bail out, but I'm on vacation all next week so I'm hoping to make some serious forward progress.

Lately I've been struggling with this "tank" area, both with the lines and with making something that will actually physically fit the bike without looking like a hack job. It's frustrating when you know what you want to do, but it won't work the way you want and you have to rethink it to get what you want.

Anyway, I've been messing with different templates to see what would fit and what it would look like. I even put a bunch of guide lines on my template that follow the lines of the frame to see if that gave me any fresh ideas for a shape:

IMG_5116.JPG

I tried sketching something out that follows the seat tube frame line. I don't hate it, but I think the other line splits up the open space better, so I went with that for now.
IMG_5117.JPG

It will have two pieces, a top and bottom half. I mocked up the top half in the proper thickness, and found out I'd have to shorten it up a little more to get it to slide into place, so this is what the "final" template looks like:
IMG_5127.JPG

I may end up adding a little "cap" towards the rear to get it to extend towards the rear of the bike more, or I may just leave it alone. Depends what it looks like when it's done. I know it looks a little weird extending down that far right now, but it's for a reason. I have something planned that incorporates it, but since it will be two pieces I can just go with the top part if it doesn't work out:
IMG_5128.JPG

This is what just the top half would look like. Kind of like what the bike came with, but thicker:
IMG_5129.JPG

So that's it for the moment, like I said, hope to get more done this week!

Just an idea, but instead of the bottom section having that more abrupt curve What if it somewhat mimicked the cantilever tube bend where it with a more fluid bend. Also maybe extending the tank panels back towards the seattube. Just a suggestion.

thic.png

Back