THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donks are the dumbest thing to come along in awhile. normally even if something is not my style i can apreciate the work that went into it but not these. i wonder how well they stop with small stock brake rotors :shock:

ratdonk.jpg

Hey Karf,

This statement seems a bit out of context for someone who thinks so far outside the box. Unless limits are pushed one can only fit "in" the box. Remember we are evolutionary people us customizers, not revolutionary. We take and massage. As someone here stated cars like this have been around for a long time, not always in this quantity or with this style wheels. A good friend of mine had an early 80's Turbo Pontiac Trans-Am mounted on a Chevrolet Blazer frame. THing had 44's .... Cepek tires and Alcoa 12 lugs. Extreme YEs, Practical, hardly. Cool factor High, acceptable at the local car digs ~ Kinda got a lot of laughs and giggles and a lot of "Don't Park here" from the regulars. He persisted and even built a ridiculous motor for it that would never reach the potential it had in a vehicle like it, but he did it! Appreciate the work, and if you don't have to drive it...don't worry how it stops, LOL

Joe

karfer67 said:
donks are the dumbest thing to come along in awhile. normally even if something is not my style i can apreciate the work that went into it but not these. i wonder how well they stop with small stock brake rotors :shock:

Where do these guys live? California? Can they drive these things on the street legally? I Illinois, they would be illegal. :|
There is a maximum bumper height here. Gary

B607 said:
Where do these guys live? California? Can they drive these things on the street legally? I Illinois, they would be illegal. :|

Yeah these things are all over the Bay Area. Unfortunately, they're legal here.

I have to say, to turn an old drop top Caddy into a rolling steroid is almost sacriligious :lol: But at the same time, whatever floats ya boat!!! I dunno, but could it be that the customizing scene has been so huge for so long over there that really, the only way to go is up :shock:

Or maybe those big rims are a substitute for something... :p

voodoo curse said:
B607 said:

Yeah these things are all over the Bay Area. Unfortunately, they're legal here.
They are not legal in any of the states. It is like loud music, loud exhaust etc.. The cops just turn the other cheek. Your bumper/fender needs to be within a certain height of the center of your wheel. So donks, lowriders, lifted trucks are all technically illegal (unless you relocate your bumper).

SkidMark said:
It's offensive when someone take a classic car like that Olds, and uglifies it. Old Muscle Cars almost always look stupid with modern bling-bling wheels, never mind if they are that ridiculously huge.

It started because rappers were getting bagged on for appropriating the Latino lowrider culture, so they went 180 degrees in the opposite direction.
You have to be kidding right? rappers have nothing to do with it. the lowrider craze is still strong. It is just that people want something different and new so the scraper/donk craze went commercial.

vanilla_gorilla said:
ive seen em with secondary bumpers at reg. height if they are driving around town
yo faceoff i got my caprice finally, ill post a thread so you can peep it
Lets see that caprice ya got! lol

FaceOFFbikes said:
SkidMark said:
It's offensive when someone take a classic car like that Olds, and uglifies it. Old Muscle Cars almost always look stupid with modern bling-bling wheels, never mind if they are that ridiculously huge.

It started because rappers were getting bagged on for appropriating the Latino lowrider culture, so they went 180 degrees in the opposite direction.
You have to be kidding right? rappers have nothing to do with it. the lowrider craze is still strong. It is just that people want something different and new so the scraper/donk craze went commercial.

Are you kidding? Are you pretending that this craze didn't come out of the Dirty South (and crunk, and therefore Oakland), and wasn't popularized in rap videos? Lowriders were pretty much underground (well, not part of mainstream culture) until Ice Cube and Snoop started renting 6-fo's from Lifestyle Car Club in East LA.

I can't help but laugh that you are telling me, a San Diegan, that lowriders are still popular. I'm moving back down there, expressly to build slammed cars, because there is no interest in them or car culture in general, in Portland.

But hey, thanks for the heads up :lol:

its funny how people think..... because we can probably find as many people who thinks that we adults building beatup old bicycles is just as crazy as building any fringe car trend hahaha

I must be on the good yak...cause I like the first one...Convertible no less...Needs a roll cage..and a Harley sticker.. :wink:

SkidMark said:
FaceOFFbikes said:
SkidMark said:

Are you kidding? Are you pretending that this craze didn't come out of the Dirty South (and crunk, and therefore Oakland), and wasn't popularized in rap videos? Lowriders were pretty much underground (well, not part of mainstream culture) until Ice Cube and Snoop started renting 6-fo's from Lifestyle Car Club in East LA.

I can't help but laugh that you are telling me, a San Diegan, that lowriders are still popular. I'm moving back down there, expressly to build slammed cars, because there is no interest in them or car culture in general, in Portland.

But hey, thanks for the heads up :lol:
I will back up and apologize for misunderstanding you. But I dont think rappers alone commercialized lowridering. Can we say t.v. shows, movies and lowrider mag? As far as the lowrider culture goes I was talking country wide, not just Cali, and it may be in the shadows of Donks/scrapers but are you saying that Cali is lowrider-less?

Back