This isn't my usual cup o tea but........ schwinn collegiate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the guy says he'll deliver it to my door for $40, who am i to argue.
Keep in mind thats canadian, so its like you guys getting it for $10. :) ($10.25 min wage up here, everythings expensive. not to mention exchange rate etc)
Have no real use for it yet, but i figured you guys would give me a hard time if i let it pass. :)
Other than the gloss black painted seat/bars/grips and a lot of grease, its in rather nice shape.
10pug51.jpg

this ones visiting the great white north, all the way from tuffy's cycle and mower shop (seems a strange combo) 6128 Lincoln ave. Yorktown,Morton Grove Ill. (is it me, or are there one to many names?)
even the plactic clip on cable guard is there.
2n6d7dk.jpg

o5rztz.jpg

34regkp.jpg

14addls.jpg

Schwinn tires and spare speedo parts (on schwinn approved french rims)are always cool.
so, what can ya tell me? (about the bike, the store that sold it etc)
Any of you live close to that location?
And last, what do you think i should do with it?
thx!

That should clean up well.

When I was growing up, I used to go to a bike shop that sold lawn mowers and chainsaws. There used to be lots of small bike dealers that had to make ends meet other ways.

that's what i was thinkin. Clean it up and get rid of it.
i'm at no shortage of bikes right now.

that being said, i do like old schwinn forks, and if i decide to keep the forks, i might as well keep the head tube. lol
(choppy choppy time)
there's really not a large market for collegiates is there?

never much thought about it cman, but i guess lawn mowers and bicycles make sense. ( backyard items)

icyuod2 said:
never much thought about it cman, but i guess lawn mowers and bicycles make sense. ( backyard items)

Bucky's was the name of the shop. So maybe goofy names come with odd combinations.

Bikes and mowers are a classic combination...many small towns in Ontario still have `em. Even some larger cities like Chatham ..."Smiths Cycle and Mower"...

ya learn something new everyday.

i need this thing like i need another hole in the head. :)
although i'm not complaining about the price.

rob, merk any desire for a schwinn collegiate cheap?
ya know where I'm at if ya want first dibs.
mind you, if ya make me clean it up first, its gonna cost ya more than the $40 i paid for it. :wink:

Cycle and Mower Shop combos were not at all uncommon when I was growing up. Back in 1974(?) when I got my first bike, I bought it at a Sears that only carried washing machines, dryers, ovens, stoves, lawnmowers and other power tools and of course bikes. Nothing else...no clothes, toys or furniture. Strange Sears but heaven to me on my birthday back in '74! 8)

Stepchild, those were Sears Catalog stores. They carried the basics, but you could order ANYTHING that was in the catalog. My dad ran a Sears catalog store for many, many years, and before that was a catalog store trainer. They were all over the country in small towns. Sears still has Hometown Dealer stores which are similar...no catalog though. My dad still runs one of those. Sears history lesson complete!

Morton Grove is near Chicago and Yorktown is a litte farther south. Maybe they had 2 locations. ??? Gary

Well it's not that the Collegiate's are anything special, but it is a pretty unusual color, in good shape, and they are GREAT riding bikes.

I've got a '65 I ride all the time and a '67 violet bike I just restored... just a good fit, comfortable, good geometry and all is well unless you need to carry them up stairs.... then they show their true weight. But nothing about them is hard to fix or find. They do take those 597mm tires - the S-5 / S-6 size of 26x 1-3/8"... but they're easy to mail order if your local bike shop folks start looking at you funny.

Give it a good cleaning and it should be a nice rider for somone. I've sold them for $80-100 around here after cleanup. You never know, you might really enjoy riding it yourself once it's done.

"FL" is June of '75 btw. There may be a tiny 4-digit number stamped in the middle of the Schwinn badge to give you an exact date if you want.

--Rob

+1 on remembering mower shops that sold bikes when I was a lad. My baby brother (now he's middle-aged too :lol: ) got his only non hand-me-down bike from one of the last ones around. The cool kids were all rockin' the bmx, and what did he go for? A 24" Murray spyder! 8)

Back