Thrift Shop- 2 bikes! Free Spirit and Rapido Super de Luxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, went to the thrift store today and picked up 2 bikes. The first red one is a women's Free Spirit (built by Murray, 70's probably- knowledge gained from another member here), 26" wheels, cleaned it up a little, greased the chain, pumped up the tires and they hold air! 3 speed, coaster brake, and it shifts very smooth! Way better than I was expecting. The gears say Shimano 3CC. It has a headlight and taillight and have Sears markings on the taillight and the handlebar grips. I plugged in 2 D batteries to the headlight and it turned on! I think the headlight may be getting taken off to use on a build of mine, but both of these are going to end up getting new homes (at least that is the plan), so if you guys are in the Columbus, OH area and want to check them out let me know!

Second is a 24" Super de Luxe. Has a sticker on it that says "Velame" and another on the front that says Rapido Made in Czech. Also cleaned this one up, took the chain guard off and clean/greased the chain, pumped the tires up, and boom- this one rides too! This one is a single speed (unless I somehow missed the shifter). I think my favorite part of this bike was the tool kit it had on the back, and when I got it home and opened it up it had the tools in it! Both bikes have racks on the back and are in very good shape. No real rust, just some surface stuff it looks like. The chrome is all very nice, was just dirty and I cleaned most of it up but didn't take it apart to really get in to it to do a deep cleaning. Let me know what you guys think!

image_zps778b7454.jpg

image_zpsdc16784a.jpg

image_zpse0442342.jpg

image_zpsa3ce920d.jpg

image_zpsec53eb5b.jpg

image_zps75c991ac.jpg

image_zps012fa284.jpg

image_zpsd6f2cbab.jpg

image_zps7ba76c1b.jpg

image_zpsb1796d5b.jpg

image_zpse047c799.jpg

image_zps2eed68d1.jpg

image_zps0dbb4f29.jpg

image_zps63d228e8.jpg

image_zps30de6b48.jpg

image_zps6c55fac2.jpg

image_zps09be2a43.jpg

image_zps256b9a41.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some clean machines with some nice parts.
It's a bonus that the light actually works and off of battery too. The tire eating generator in yesterdays fine pics fooled me.
Cool tool kit and bell to swap out/keep amongst other possible bits you may want before the flip.
Good pics too.:thumbsup:

Coincidently someone just dropped off a 20" Rapido nanner seat bike with a nice tall sissy bar to me today too. I'll post later when I get some pics.

Back