TIGER BLOOD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lucha_mike said:
I guess I posted in the wrong place. Not really expecting to win or anything but I am doing this build anyways, so why not take part in the build off, right?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39865

If a mod can move my build thread that would be cool.

You should post the pics and the rest of the build-threat overhere if you want the other build-off guys to see what you're doing to your build. Just sayin' :wink:

Good luck and have fun on your build.

OK, copying everything to this thread. Going to do any updates from here on out on this one. thanks.

I bought a camel back collegiate frame a while back on ebay. Wasn't really sure what i was going to do with it.

40763_440609306015_723256015_5766906_2931506_n.jpg

I decided I am going to build it as a bike that I can ride anywhere. It will be a city sort of bike. I plan on running 26x1.85" tires probably. Simple, clean, and rideable are the main objectives here.

I bought a nexus 7 speed rear wheel for it and put that on. I also ground off all the cable guides that were on the frame.

209734_10150171637781016_723256015_7238680_7270786_o.jpg

I also found this at a swap meet. Since this pic was taken, I added new cables, brake pads, shifter for the S/A hub, a seat post that allows me to use a non-schwinn seat, and redid the basket mounts. I'm torn right now whether or not to use this as a parts bike for the other frame. It's rideable now and I have been enjoying it as is but it might end up being a donor for this build. Don't worry I put a seat on it before I started riding it. lol

163182_473386036015_723256015_6264495_4677635_n.jpg

Here's what it looked like on my last ride to the river. It's not pretty but its fun.

225150_10150164854056016_723256015_7172315_1239024_n.jpg

Attached the shifter cable to the rear hub. I bought this rear wheel on ebay so its nice to see it shift and seem to work. I also found a cool little chrome shimano cable clamp off of a womens frame I had lying around. I will use that to secure the cable to the chain stay. This is the first bike with a modern multi speed set up that i have worked on. Also the first bike that has alloy wheels that I have owned since I had a mongoose in the 80s. I'm getting excited to put this thing together.

I also found a front wheel on ebay that looks like a good match to this rear.

A week or two ago, a local welding teacher that I know gave me some parts. A few new tires, a few rims that the hubs were ruined and a girls ten speed schwinn frame. They had started to build a quadracycle and I guess the project ended badly. I didn't really know if I'd ever use any of this stuff. Well, I've been pricing things out and I decided to skip the michelin city 26x1.85" tires I was going to get for now. Instead I'm going to mock it up with these kenda 26x1.95" knobby tires. They BARELY fit. I think they actually look pretty good. I will probably replace them later though. Might be fun for all the dirt roads and paths they have along the canals here. I also started breaking down the bike I'm using as a parts bike. The head bearings were toast. :(

//
0511112113.jpg

Here it is with the forks and the wheels on. I am waiting on some anti rotation washers I ordered before I can tighten the back wheel in. Its really close to rubbing, hope it works out with these tires.

0512111747.jpg

The seat isn't the one I'm going to use. Also the handlebars and stem may get replaced. Not sure yet.

The anti-rotation washers came in the mail today, and were the correct ones. Put those on, put the crank on too. Kind of weird, the part of the frame that the crank and all that bolts too seems wider than the speedster? I could barely get enough threads to show to get it snugged down. I even switched out bearing cups and same thing. I only get like a thread or two to put the outside nut on the crank. Seems like it will be ok though?

I need to figure out the best way to route the cable without being able to have it get hit by the sprocket or chain. I threw a seat on there, but I still want to order a brooks b72 saddle for it, when I have the $

I need to go get a chain, and order some kind of nice pedals for it, then I can test ride it.

Still plan on replacing the handle bars with something cooler, and painting it. Might run the chain guard, I'm not sure. I guess it depends whether the stock size sprocket works out, gear wise.

downsize2.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic.

Phase one is complete, I got the bike back together and rode it. The rear hub performs as it should and the gear ratio is actually pretty nice for around here. Phase 2 will probably include paint, new pedals, seat and cleaning up all the chrome. I also need to find some more cable tie down things.

downsize3.jpg

Just bought a nice used Brooks Flyer saddle on ebay. I think its the honey color. Trying to figure out what color to paint the bike. Black sounds cool with this seat, but I also like the idea of color, with black rims and accents.

Thanks guys. I was on the fence about the chain guard. Originally I planned to leave it off. There are some handlebars from Soma Fabrication that I like, Condorina handlebars, but I'm not sure its worth the $, to buy them and then I'd need a different stem as well. I plan to order a micro adjust type seat post to work with the brooks saddle and to get some new pedals.

Back