tire issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 x 3 Kenda Flame with a regular 24" tube. I inflated the tire to the proper pressure and the tire unseated and the tube blew out. Has anyone had seating issues with the Kenda or do a need a 24 x 3 tube?

jeff

I've used a few 26 x 3 Kenda flames with regular tubes. You have to seat the tires perfectly on the rim, then watch as the tube fills up. I stop every few seconds and recheck the alignment and work it into place or let air out and start over. Once it gets seated well, I air it on up, but only to 35psi.

On a thinner rim you can get away with the regular 24" tubes but on a wider rim you need the 24 x 3 tubes.

yup, it's a wider rim. I called the LBS and they said they had them. I went there and the mechanic said they didn't. oh well, I guess I'll be ordering from Debbie once again.

jeff

As Wildcat said, work the bead as you inflate. I had 24x3 that was impossible , so I got out the zipties. They were fastened around those places that kept popping off.

We use the heavy duty 24" mountain bike tubes with the 3"tires. The tubes can be a little over inflated with NO problem. I'm kinda dainty in size though (around 290).

Alot of the modern tires don't "automatically" seat themselves. I inflate mine just enough that I can still easily squeeze the sides in with my fingers and then manually push the sidewall in with downward (toward the rim) pressure. I actually hear mine snap into the locked position on the rim. It's tedious but foolproof. I then semi inflate - check to make sure everything is still locked in and then proceed to desired pressure. Why I got started on this - as I would start to inflate the tire a lot of my tires have raised lines running parallel to rim and I would notice the spacing between the line and the rim would vary. After I started seating them by hand the distance remained constant. Whatever works for you. Have Fun! Robert

thanks. When I can actually find the tubes, I'll give what you guys said a shot. The bike looks way cool with the big meats on, I just would like them to stay on.

jeff

Back