Tires for a middleweight cruiser 1.75?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All-

I have a 50's Rollfast and which is bone stock down to the tires. My question is this: The original tires read 26 x1.75 - 2.125. What is the appropriate tire for this bike? 1.75? What is the largest tires that I can run on these rims? The rims seem more narrow than my Dyno roadster which runs 2.125. Should I stick with 1.75? I am looking at brown schwalbe road cruisers. Will these fit? What do you guys recommend?

Personally I don't think you will have an issue with the 2.125 tires fitting on the rims. You may have an issue if you are running fenders with tire rub. I'm not familiar with the Schwalbe tires, so can't help you there. I'm sure one of the other members here may have that answer for you.

The Schwalbe Road Cruisers are available in a 26x1.75 and will fit your rims. They run fairly true to size, maybe a tiny bit under. (In reality, a lot depends on the rim's width and how you decide to measure...) Your frame will take 2.125" tires just fine, but fenders might rub... depends on the frame, the fenders, and sometimes just how good you are at massaging fenders.... I've run 26x2.125" tires on some middleweight frames with Fenders, but they were Schwinns and the clearances are different on those, it seems, probably due to the s7 size being different... Not sure how that'd work out with your Rollfast...

Hey Mate, I was wondering when Id find you here, Given you post so much nice stuff on FB. I would second the opinion of 808. I run 26x1.75s on the '39 Columbia I've posted your way a few times I think, and have a 26.2 on the front and what looks like a 26.3 on the back, rather that be right or wrong, use your best judgement when fitting the tires, and assure there isnt slippage DURING the fill, or it might pop on you in a pinch.

More folks will chime in Im sure.~

On my Roll fast built 1956 Hawthorne I had no luck fitting new 2.125x26 or even 1.95x26 under the stock fenders. I did happen to have some nice used 1.5x26 tires that fit fine. Maybe these bikes fenders are a tad smaller than other middleweight bikes. I even tried some s7 Schwinn middleweight rim/tires and they were too big also....

They'll sure fit under '39 Columbia fenders! [Though reshaping for a newer model frame might be needed]

26x2.125 fit my middle wight 1950s Schwinn frame. They won't fit in my middle weight 1966 Wester Flyer badged Huffy, my 1968 Sears or my 1968 Monark badged Huffy. I can only fit 26x1.75 in these last 3 and the tires marked 26x1.75-2.125 don't fit these frames. I would guess that your bike will take 26x2.125, but it is only a guess.

When in doubt, measure. How much space is left around the 1.75"? You only need another 3/16" per side, plus a little wiggle room for hops in the wheel or mud or whatever...

Of course, it's a moot point if you're going with the 1.75" Schwalbe Road Cruisers...

I'm thinking tires may have grown is size over the years. The 1.50x26 seem just as big as the 1.75x26 I took off.

Back