Tomorrows classics today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Cool thread.

I don't think its possible to guess right on the money what will be valuable in the future and what won't. Take for example the VW beetles, BMW Isetta's, all were near throw-away prices 20 years ago. Paying $1000 for a VW Beetle 20 years ago it had better be pretty spiffy. Now, look at the prices. A shell of a split window is $3000+. A shell of an Isetta is $4000+. Restored is $40,000 for the Isetta.

Like one poster said guns that sold for $300 10 years ago are now thousands. 20 years ago for a classic bicycle did $200 get you something nice? I hope it did. Now $200 doesn't get much.

I collect all types of things; because I enjoy them. In terms of futuristic value; I hope there will be some significant increase, but I don't relie on the value of my material objects to pay for me retirement. My collection of things range from for example a few Rolls Royce, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, etc.... and on the other side of things.. Yugo, Datsun, Saab, Volvo, Renault, etc. You never know just what will be desireable.

Now my more newer cars, leaving the pre-war, 50s,60s,70s eras. To the 80s's I believe the 80's sports cars (import) will be a hit. I'm 25 years old. I grew up where Nissan 300zx, Mitsubishi Starion / Chrysler Conquest, Porsche 944/951 were the hits. When my generation gets older and has more money to spend on 'cars we once remembered', I'm sure the values will rise. Think back to when you 50-60 year olds were young and those Charger's, Mustang Mach 1, GTO's were still affordable. Now they've sky rocketed - but thats because your generation is older and has the financial means to buy themselves back into their dream cars. But the cars aren't that easy to find now.

Collecting..who knows the outcome, just enjoy it.

Back