Tortrons suicycle project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. im from new zealand snd thought you may be interested in some of my bikes

first off the suicycle

Finally i have aqquired all (well pretty much) the bits i need to undertake the suicycle project i have been planning for a while now. Even better, i got everything for free!!! local recycling centre/dump = mean source for bits of crap that will gennerally rust away in my shed

Anyway onto the project.
Take one 32cc talon chainsaw
2 perfectly good 10 speed bikes
let me have too much time on my hand (devils work no doubt)
add an angle grinder, drill, probably a welder at some point
--and you get the suicycle

im basing it on such mopeds as the solex. Running a front mount engine, giving front wheel drive. This way i can rock 10 speeds pedaling and 5 on the engine.

plans for the future, make some custom fibreglass engine covers and possibly wheel fairings and the such, find me like a goat skull with horns to slap on the front, then spraybomb the whole thing matt black, then do a bit of pinstriping - likely red and gray im thinking

so, pictures

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

i also have a number of other vintage bikes. such as this 1930's phillips roadster

(bah cant find a pic)

all original, with some very nice patina on the black with gold pinstripe paint job

Appropriately named. That is a first on a traditional bike setup- Front wheel drive.

Welcome to the board.

well its pretty similar to solexes and other kit engines for bikes, except for the fact that its chain driven rather than roller

next step is to modify a sprocket on the clutch to fir the bike chain and to make a more effective exhaust silencer

cool...

I heard those light weight bike/motorcycles hybrids were becoming big in New Zealand!!!

Check it out: http://www.fxbikes.com/

I'm no engineer but I'm not too sure about the center of gravity in your design :wink: :wink:

Pls try and post a video of the maiden voyage. (Have fun!)

I'm no engineer but I'm not too sure about the center of gravity in your design

well it will me mounted a heck of alot furtherback than as shown, plus with pretty much everything that it doesnt need to run being taken off it it should even things out a bit. will probably relocate the fuel tank if i can figure out how to maintain fuel flow to it

can always put another engine on the back :mrgreen:

tho pedaling it as it is its not too bad, deffinately "feel" that there is something on there.

tho where i plan to mount it should be directly on the turning axis of the wheel which should eliminate any feel of extra weight, keeping in mind that im not trying to break a land speed record here, just trying build an absolutly rancid bike that makes onlookers go "omg what the heck is wrong with that guy"

Wicked brakes. Your rims might start glowing with all that friction. lol.

Good idea on studs on the seat. You have alot of fresh ideas to share.

well shes comming along nicely today, may even have a short ride (im predicting a few things may ned adjusting before it wont break itself). have modified the clutch to fit the bike chain, done by removing the chainsaw sprocket alltogeather and fitting a sprocket from a rear derailur/gear changer (at the expence of now not having changeable gears on the front untill i get anotherone form somewhere, quick trip to the dump me thinks)

have also broken the chain to length, without a chain tool :mrgreen:
I have removed more "junk" from the engine so now its a fair bit smaller and dosnt really weigh anything. Have also solved the chain clearence issues around the clutch (bike chain is deeper than a chainsaw). have noticed that it takes premix fuel and has another tank for oil, which to me seemed to be 2 stroke oil. it seems to be connected to the engine rather than being a chain oiler. hmm dont know to remove it or not. i may also make a jigg up to hold the clutch on, you see the driveshaft has broken where a nut that holds it on goes and has say 3 threads left. i may just weld a bit on the end.

so not alot until it goes, a few things to do until it goes and is in a normally rideable condition, and a fair way to go to get it how i plan

OMG, you are insane! I've been in the motorized bike hobby for three or four years now and I've seen alot of variations on the homade bike but never seen anything like this. torton, this is deffinatly one of the most original ideas I've seen for putting a motor on a bike. I'm digging the front wheel drive thang, I have a Solex and it is a really fun ride but its slow with a top speed of 20mph. Have you tested your 5 speed transmition yet? I'm wondering if the derailer will hold up to the torque and speed that it will be subjected to. If it does work you are going to have a speed demon on your hands. Also please get some new tires on that thing, those gumwalls are falling apart and a blowout at 30+mph really sucks. Enjoy the ride...Kelly

yes, this is true, i do have some better condition and wider which i think will be key tyres, hmm, having a few troubles mounting the engine, one of them being my drill dosnt seem to want to go through anything at all.

up until i canabalised the sprocket the transmission setout seemed to work, the torque of course may be a problem and im not to keen on that causing a front wheel chain lock up at any speed. tho speedwise i would imagine it will hold up,

never fear i havnt quit this project, just been chipping away slowly. right, engine is all mounted, am figuring out how to attatch the throttle cable, tis a bit of a thinker.

small/ huge project destroying problem with the pull start (one of the tab things broke so now there is no grip) but if i cant fix it il just drill start it.

took it for a small ride to see how the weight faired, was quite happy, the engine is mounted as close to the turning axis of the wheel as possible. oh and i discovered i need to re adjust my brakes, back ones are notr quite ticht enough for my liking

comments from ride - "OH, i see that thing has a chain to the wheels"
my reply "well id look damed silly with it there as a noise maker"

your an Animal.. :lol:
I look forward to seeing it Run...
great work...I know,sometimes your Brain can get pretty Fried
thinking and thinking how to Fab something so it works..

I love the Double Brakes...good luck with all the little bits
that are causing you grief!

can't wait to see her Run!
peace,
Kev.

hi, im in opotiki, bay of plenty.
tho will soon be in hamilton for uni (so the project will be on hold for a number of months :( )

Back