Tot-Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm pretty new around here (see my intro). I'm from the Sacramento area and just recently got interested in these old bikes. The rat rod style is so great because nothing has to be correct!! Ideas are limitless...
I remembered I had this 50's Mercury chain driven (skip tooth) tricycle. I picked it up a while ago. It was rusted out, missing a wheel, and in bad shape. I took it apart and sand blasted the whole thing. My brother (who paints cars) happened to be painting a red Porsche color at the time, so I had him spray the seat and two piece chain guard. They turned out real nice. After that, I stuffed everything into a tote and pretty much forgot about it. Well, after getting on this forum and looking around, I figured it was time to pull it back out.
I got it put back together (minus crank & wheels). The fender was pretty rough with rot on both tips, and it was dented pretty bad. I cut about 3/8" off each end to get rid of the rot, and I straightened out the dents. Now that its back together, I can stare at it and figure out something to do with wheels and paint scheme. Like I said I only had a front, and one rear wheel. Neither of which are remotely salvageable. Newer wheels/spokes will end up on it probably. I'm pondering the idea of changing the forks. To what? I don't know... Ideas? Tell me what you think...

Things I need are:
-grips with 3/4" ID
-pedals
-14" front wheel
-10"-12" rear wheels
-Mercury head tube badge

IMG_3225R_2.jpg

IMG_3226R_2.jpg

IMG_3227R_2.jpg

Here is a couple of pics to show how it looks originally.
murray53.jpg

murray55.jpg

Re: Tot-Rod (50s Tricycle)

very cool and i gotta know what your screen name is about only because i know what u do lol i think :shock:

karfer67 said:
very cool and i gotta know what your screen name is about only because i know what u do lol i think :shock:
Hey saw the "Galt-town Hooligan" yesterday at Midnight Mass. Looking good!! There was some nice bikes there.

My screen name is the same one I use on any forum. Waaayyy back in the day when my dad was into the whole CB radio thing (circa 1970s), his CB handle was "Critter", nd of course my moms handle was "Lady Critter". So I figure its only fitting to continue on the tradition with "Critter1". Its nothing to do with my job,,,, and yes I do work for CHP which is why I like rat-rods that much more. Its so "opposite" of what I'm so use to. Make sense???

herr_rudolf said:
noodlenoggin said:
That is a COOL tricycle -- I love the hook-shaped frame!

Me too! I'm curious to see if that shape will still be cool as a 26" version...
Good luck with the build!
Hmmm, if I modify a set of full size forks to fit this tricycle frame, and throw on a 18-20" rim..... I could put any size I want on the rear. I have a kids bike that my son has outgrown, I may have to butcher it up.

hmm...

i think i'd try some wheels off a kick scooter on the rear. i don't know how you'd lock them down so they turn with the axel, though. then a small springer from a 20"schwinn, like off the black friday crates, with maybe a 16"rim.

the only thing would be if it looked too much like it was tipped backward. i guess wheel sizes and the lenth of the springer would determine that.

Back