Touching up scratches?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an all original GT Dyno Deuce in gloss red from a guy on craigslist. Its got a few scuffs and scratches I want to touch up but some of the scratches are pretty deep, almost past the primer layer. It's been in a garage for almost ten years at least so it has very minor wear and tear on it. I had to get the bearings in the rear wheel and bottom bracket adjusted but that was pretty much it.

What paint can someone recommend I should use? Any thing gloss red or something more specific?

This may sound a little wacky, but I suggest you try nail polish. It's really nothing more than tough high-gloss paint in a little jar with an applicator...and it's available in hundreds of colors. I often use Testor's enamel for model cars and a small brush, especially for basic primary colors.

This may sound a little wacky, but I suggest you try nail polish. It's really nothing more than tough high-gloss paint in a little jar with an applicator...and it's available in hundreds of colors. I often use Testor's enamel for model cars and a small brush, especially for basic primary colors.

+1

+2. The best touch-up; cheap and comes in a bunch of different colors. Bring the fork into the drugstore with you, so you can better find a perfect match....

+2. The best touch-up; cheap and comes in a bunch of different colors. Bring the fork into the drugstore with you, so you can better find a perfect match....

Bringing the fork for a color match might be a problem as the front fork of the GT Dyno Deuce is a chrome tripple tree fork. I could bring the front fender which is the easiest painted part I can remove and it would be less aquard to bring into a store. It's one of those half cut duck tail desighns

Last edited:
Any thoughts on removing frame dents? It looks like the tripple tree fork they used on the GT Dyno Deuce has a design flaw were the upper part of the fork swivels in twords the frame causing a dent on the left or right side of the frame near where the fork mounts!

I'm actualy kinda suprized GT or Dyno didn't adress this design flaw with the tripple tree fork. I noticed it as I unloaded the bike from the back of the car when the whole fork/handlebar assembly swiveled very easily into the frame causing a dent in the left where the front frame tube meets the upper frame tube. It swivels to easily as it's a pretty heavy handlebar/fork set up for a bicycle.

Last edited:
if you have a buddy that paints cars it can be touched up and be undetectable if your current gloss is there. you first sand around the scratch, use a flowbie/brush to brush touch it with matching base coat, then catalyze some clear and after 45 minutes brush it onto the scratches. Then wait a few days and when it's hard to the finger nail and doesn't leave impressions you sand with 1500, then 2000, to 2500 and buff away. If you do it good you won't even know where the scratch was, even if you know the area it's in. It works great.

-3. I tried three brands of yellow on an old raleigh record, thinking this would be "the answer" as Ive always heard. I didnt care for it at all. Since I seem to be the annomaly, I assume Im doing something wrong. Just a few coats had no coverage, a few more coats, and lots of build up. I am a MASTER with flat black rattle paint, but that is where my paint skills end.

thanks all.

~Lucas
You down with OPC??

To be fair, yellow is the toughest color to get results with, at least as far as liquid finishes go. That being said, best results are obtained by
-shaking thoroughly. Once you shake it enough, shake it some more.
-many light coats, rather than just a few heavy ones.
- hit any buildup after the final coat(s) with some very fine steel wool, or similar abrasive.

That's for the epicurean nail-polish-on-bike painter; i typically get a pretty good match, hit it up with a few coats over the course of a day, and then ride off into the sunset.

-3. I tried three brands of yellow on an old raleigh record, thinking this would be "the answer" as Ive always heard. I didnt care for it at all. Since I seem to be the annomaly, I assume Im doing something wrong. Just a few coats had no coverage, a few more coats, and lots of build up. I am a MASTER with flat black rattle paint, but that is where my paint skills end.

thanks all.

~Lucas
You down with OPC??
Gloss is a complex painting process compared to flat/matte So I see why you'd go with flat/matte painting. It probably would be pretty expensive to get the Dyno Deuce repainted entirely because it came in ether gloss black or gloss red with yellow/orange flames with blue outlines in the flames. I wish they at least made the Dyno Deuce decals.

Back