Tour De Fat - Tempe Az.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIGver2point0 said:
This is my first one. From your standpoint where is the best place to park? I will be coming from the Westside.

There is a bridge that goes from the grounds where the festivities are across the lake to the other side. Directly on the other side under the bridge is a great place to park. Ya just ride across the bridge and into the event. Very easy. Just get there a bit early to get a spot.

naturephotoboy3 said:
I will be there. This will be number 3 for our family.
I will be there as ALWAYS! This will be #3 this summer for me. :mrgreen: You can also park @ Tempe market place and ride west on the paved bike path to the park. NO lack of parking at the mall.

Slick Rick said:
naturephotoboy3 said:
I will be there. This will be number 3 for our family.
I will be there as ALWAYS! This will be #3 this summer for me. :mrgreen: You can also park @ Tempe market place and ride west on the paved bike path to the park. NO lack of parking at the mall.

We should all use the park and ride and ride the train..all at once..that would be a fun little excursion

Went to the event today..as always a HUGE turn out. Saw some pretty amazing bikes. Best one there was a Trike built by a fellow RRB member. Hopefully he will post some photos of it now. When i talked to him there he said he had kept it a secret until the event..so that's all I will say about it until he puts up the photos. Other than..IT WAS SWEEEEEEET.

We rode in the parade...I let my son do all the kids events then we left. Once the drinking gets going im outta there. So the event was really fun..people were all awesome and it was at a great spot as always. Only bad part about it that seemed worse this year..maybe im wrong because I dont drink..but there seemed to be HUGE long lines for anything. I guess one line was for an armband..then you had to get in another to get a token??? then another line to get your beer?? Not sure what that was all about..but there was a few thousand unhappy people there for sure. And they had this placed locked down like it was some Presidential event. This year you couldnt have ANY food or drinks other than water NO FOOD?? Again..there were a ton of families with small kids that had food for the family..drinks for the kids and thats it..No beer..just normal items. They shook everyone down like we were criminals. SOOOOO...hard times call for hard measures. There is always a way to get things past the rent a cops. Once i got everything in the gates..I could have sold the food and Powerade's for good money. But..other than the ridiculous COP WANT TO BE's there...it was a great time.

And on a shocking note..there was actually a lady handing out flyers for a Halloween Bike event down there. Yes Arizona..we have almost graduated to Semi Bike lovers status. Two bike events within the same month in this area??? That is UN HEARD of. In the same month??? There is barely 2 events in one year here. I guess it's because of our terrible riding weather we have for the next 8 months. :shock:

naturephotoboy3 said:
Best one there was a Trike built by a fellow RRB member. Hopefully he will post some photos of it now. When i talked to him there he said he had kept it a secret until the event..so that's all I will say about it until he puts up the photos. Other than..IT WAS SWEEEEEEET.

Yep, that's an amazing trike. Would the builder of that bike please step forward...

:D

My GF and I were there on our trikes. We were running a little late because I was still working out some kinks on my GF trike. I'll add to the post about that. Agreed, the lines were longer than I remember seeing too. But, there seemed to be way more people too. The security was a little over the top but in previous years the drinking would get out of hand (remember, this is a college town). It wasn't too bad and downtown Tempe was swamped with bicycle at bars too.

Great day!

naturephotoboy3 said:
And on a shocking note..there was actually a lady handing out flyers for a Halloween Bike event down there. Yes Arizona..we have almost graduated to Semi Bike lovers status. Two bike events within the same month in this area??? That is UN HEARD of. In the same month??? There is barely 2 events in one year here. I guess it's because of our terrible riding weather we have for the next 8 months. :shock:

Oh, did you run into the guy handing out fliers for a third Friday of every month bike ride? I think the meeting place was Tempe beach park, but I don't remember the time.

thehazmatguy said:
naturephotoboy3 said:

Oh, did you run into the guy handing out fliers for a third Friday of every month bike ride? I think the meeting place was Tempe beach park, but I don't remember the time.

I did get a flyer on that ride on the third friday..BUT..It's a rode bike event. they said the pace would be about 15-20 miles per hour so i assume it is road bikes. If not..its way out of my league on my cruiser. Im at about 1/2 mile per hour tops :D

As far as the beer thing at the event..I do agree..stop people and check for alcohol..but gatorade and other non-alcoholic drinks?? its Az..its warm and we need options other than beer. But as i said..i got it all in..just had to be creative. Just tell 3 of the rent a cops that are at one post that there is a serious fight about to break out..they hurry over there..i ride in...BOOM..easy as that 8)

I saw some other cool trikes in there..i bet i saw you

This was my first TdF. I can say without reservation, it wont be the last. I have some pics of Wackos trike. It was pretty cool. Another RRB member brought his fleet of vintage rides out as well.

i was parked right next to you when you were taking this photo..i had the stretch Detroit bike with the trailer hooked to it. Saw this girl hanging around that area. Those vintage cruisers in the photos above were really cool. Was a great time. I am going to post a photo of the flyer i got from a lady...there is a Halloween ride coming up the 26th...should be fun

BIGver2point0 said:
I'm thinking I may not do that particular ride. I would like to find a decent club, that has rides for cruisers etc. on a somewhat consistent basis.
yea im with ya on that ride. Sounds kinda strange..and im not paying to go on a ride..especially not on line pay

Back