Tractor fog light battery questions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tractor fog light that I want to use on my bike but I'm having trouble converting it to battery operated. I'm pretty sure it's a 12volt sealed bulb. when I hooked up a 9volt battery it wasn't bright enough, so I hooked up two, then three 9volt batteries but every time it would shine bright for about two minutes then die like it drained the batteries. What am I doing wrong?am I going to need a car battery to get this bulb to stay lit?
20121201_225537-1.jpg

A light like that draws a lot of current. I'd try a 6V lantern battery. Maybe 2 of them in series to get you 12V. Those are the ones that are about 2" X 2" square and about 4" tall. They have the little springs on the top. Even with that, continued use will zap that kind of battery too. That's a powerful light for a bike. Gary

Best thing to do is go to your local dollar store buy a cheap flash litght gut them both an put the flashlight in the fog light problem solved an you've got a kool head light

big kountry said:
Best thing to do is go to your local dollar store buy a cheap flash litght gut them both an put the flashlight in the fog light problem solved an you've got a kool head light

Yep, that hit the nail on the head.! :)

big kountry said:

I have a smaller light almost identical to this one that I converted to led but I wasn't happy with the light intensity or the color. plus it just looks like I stuck a couple leds into it. it gives the Amber lens kind of a green tint to it. here's a picture of both lights turned on.

20121202_084110-1.jpg

You don't have to use LED's they still make the old style you can pick them up for a couple of bucks at the dollar stores around here

scrumblero said:
your LED's look pretty anemic....

Maybe I wired them wrong. I have two leds plugged into a 9volt battery. I don't want to have to punch like 20 holes into the bulb and run the risk of breaking it. Anyone have tips on a setup to get a bright light with leds?

I think your main problem is your 9v transistor radio battery. Just not suited to powering lights of any kind. Not for very long, anyway. Get a 12v lead acid battery out of a motorcycle for your non LED light. Big and heavy but it has the juice you need. Gary

maybe you can just get one of those cheap flashlight found anywere , and put only the led part in your lamp , the litle baterie pack could be hidden in the handle bar end or something
Mini-9-LED-Super-Bright-Flashlight-Lamp-Camping-Torch3AAA-Blue-1275974698.jpg

The big bulb requires way too much battery to power up, they are intended to be running off the charging system once the vehicle is started, even in the tractor it would draw down the battery (ever leave your car lights on?) You can maybe find a motorcycle bulb that fits the housing that has a metal back side to cut out and fit an LED light to, thus retaining the fancy lens. BTW, there are also some stick-on 'puck' lights, LED & 3 AAA batteries, that are shallow and when fit up behind a lens could work.

I used a 19 LED head lamp to convert the motorcycle headlight on my cruiser. I used and 5 3/4 bulb that takes an H4 halogen. The light was very blue so I colored the LEDs with an orange sharpie and now it's kind of yellow. Not as harsh.

Latest posts

Back