Tricky Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. Tacked up and ready to weld.
46FF523C-E00F-4A0E-8F0E-03352A4F43EC_zpsbjhihrwu.jpg

No I haven't used one and wanted to buy one, but it looks like they don't have them anymore. Do you have one and if so where did you get it?
No I don't have one. I agree that I don't think they make them anymore. I couldn't find a way of ordering or a price. I was hoping someone could give me some info but oh well. I see other adapters that look the same minus the rotor mount. Don't see why I can't weld a plate to the adapter. Looks like that may be my only choice.

Love the broomstick axle, do you think it will hold up to the torque when turning though?

Luke.
Thanks. I needed something and that was the best I could find at the moment. I figured y'all would like it and no that won't hold up, my legs are to strong and will definetly produce way too much torque.

Got my axle in yesterday while at work. Got home this morning and was checking it out. My hubs on my wheels are too wide. The shaft on the flange side doesn't extend out of the hub. I need a "BANG HEAD HERE" sign. I guess I am gonna get new hubs and lace some new rims. Didn't want to spend so much money and I have never laced wheels before. I guess the broom stick is gonna stay a little longer. Post some pics soon.

Nut on end of axle. I'll post some pics this afternoon. From some quick measurements. My wheel hub is about 3-1/2", and the shaft that sticks out past the flange measures 3-1/2 also.

HELP!!!!!!! I measured the shaft from the flange to the end of the threads and it comes out to be about 83mm.
I didnt measure the hub but it's obviously a few mm short. I searched around today and came across husky bicycles and their hubs say 80mm which seems to be too wide for this shaft too. Pic 2 the flange is hitting the spokes so it will need washers to space it out some which is going to affect the length also. Pic 3&4 shows the flange and it looks like there is a pin, maybe key holding in place. I tried to beat the flange back some but it doesn't budge. I paid like 40 bucks for this and now scratched it up trying to get it to fit so I'm sure it's not returnable and now just need to figure out how to make it work.
E4AC3C3A-0068-4D6E-951E-5B793015DFEE_zps6zwco5dz.jpg

BE175C0A-0087-4953-9B54-DF07AFC0D9C8_zpsqkkwsaqk.jpg

44D2ECDE-C905-49A3-8DB9-A9AD0FA9ECF1_zpscg2ajem8.jpg

A126562A-E917-4143-B17C-65FE35E6DDEB_zpsyoqz3xdw.jpg

350D4EDA-F6B0-4A2C-A8B1-E6CDFEFBE06F_zps4rfifsaj.jpg

Ok it looks like the original axle had a nut with a big washer under it against the hub.
mplumb59.jpg

Is there a sleeve/bushing or bearings inside the hub that rides on the axle?

What it looks like you could do is get a threaded sleeve that would thread to the axle, then lets you thread a bolt to it, letting you to tighten it all down.

Ok it looks like the original axle had a nut with a big washer under it against the hub.
mplumb59.jpg

Is there a sleeve/bushing or bearings inside the hub that rides on the axle?

What it looks like you could do is get a threaded sleeve that would thread to the axle, then lets you thread a bolt to it, letting you to tighten it all down.
There is a bearing that needs to go in the hub, I didn't think about a coupler nut, I think it may be too long and interfere with the bearing but great idea. I'll look and see if I can find one in that thread type and see if I can make that work. If not I may cut and weld the shaft to make it longer. I was really just expecting to get it in the mail, grab some bearings and throw it together. That's the Miller luck. Thanks again for the idea.

Back