Tricky Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Thanks so much for yall's input. After searching today for a 15mm coupler nut and a 15mm bolt which I do not think they make, and then some concern about the coupler nut coming unscrewed when the bike is being pedaled, I decided to try something else. In the previous post I showed a pic of what looks like a large spot weld on the axle flange. I decided to try to drill out the weld, and WOO HOO it worked. I drilled it out and the flange felt a little sloppy on the shaft, after a couple of hits with a hammer, the flange slid off the axle. I will have a little modification to the flange and then I'll tack it back where I want it to go. The axle is gonna be a perfect fit once I place the flange where it needs to be. Thanks again for all of yall's great ideas, they really got me thinking, which is what my brain needs sometimes.

F285A858-3181-4FC1-95E9-AA2659EB6317_zpsxgjolioi.jpg

9E4F3AB8-D08A-4B9B-B569-17912E6F16B2_zps1zhqtkrc.jpg

Cool deal there. Now after moving the flange to where you need it, will there be enough axle for the inboard length?
Not sure what you mean by inboard length, but as of now all my measurements are looking perfect. I need to get my bearings which I was waiting on till I got my axle situated. Once the bearings are in I can mock up everything, then get it tacked and fabbed up. :rockout:

It flows good from front to back.

What size wheels are on there???
26" front 20" rear. Which is stock for the respective sections. I had some 18" wheels I thought about using when I was having the axle/hub length issue but I had already welded and measured my crank distance for 20" so I stuck with them.

Been a little while since last update. I took out Tricky for about a six mile ride. Half way out I developed a bearing to bearing squeak. Got home added a washer between the two bearings. Fixed. My second ride out, another six mile run. Half way developed a clicking noise. Went home loosened up my axle nut, hammered the axle over an 1/8" fixed. Man it's one thing after another. Not sure if the axle will stay in place, it may slide back and the click will return. I guess I'll find out about halfway through my next ride. Did get my front brakes on and just added my chain guard. I'll get my decals on tomorrow hopefully and the post some pics. Tricky Trike Out.

Back