Trike rear end build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have a trike but they arn't easy to come by. I did help a kid put a chain on one last summer so I got a look at how it worked. Lovely Lowrider has a trike kit for $200 but WHOOOO! I don't spend $20 on a build. So I've kicked the idea around on how to build one and have some blocks like what does the drive rod in the axle tube ride on? :? I'm gonna sketch my ideas on paint later and post 'em here. Just wondered if anyone else pondered this too.

There was a rear section in the classified if she still has it for $25 plus shipping. I really dont think you could buy 4 bearings and a couple gears that cheap. It looks like whatever you build has to have an axle ,two sprockets that have set screws and four bearings. then someway to have the chain put power to a free spinning wheel. Shouldnt be too hard if your first name is albert. :D :lol:

TheFlyingDingo said:
Jeez...another bike to texas

I have no idea
i was thinking $50 for the rear end setup
$100 for the whole trike

Got pictures?

trikerear.jpg
Okay, heres my basic plans. A. gear or sprocket B. all thread rod C. 3x1/4 steel plate D. bike frame drop outs E. 1 1/4 tub/head tube F. fork cups and bearings G/H. solid mount all thread rod to front rims without bearings. Some forks will have to have the threaded tops cut off and a nut welded CENTER to it so the wheels dont wobble and a nut welded to the gear "A" There's no stopping the pedals and the inside wheel in a turn will skip, the posie design is tooooo complicated.

Thanks bad news but I'm the nuckle-headed do-it-myself type and besides, I've already got a collection of parts to get one built.

bigredddaddy said:
Thanks bad news but I'm the nuckle-headed do-it-myself type and besides, I've already got a collection of parts to get one built.
sweet 8) i would like to see this ive always wanted to make my own but never was able to find parts

I would imagine you could find a used trike or a trike rear end for less $ than it would cost to build your own, but if you do decide to build your own I wouldn't use all-thread for the axle. It's not strong enough for one thing, and you need a smooth surface for the bearings and the freewheel collars to ride on. Use steel dowel rod and have the ends threaded at a machine shop.
Have fun building!

bmxerpete said:
I would imagine you could find a used trike or a trike rear end for less $ than it would cost to build your own, Naaa, buyin stuff is overrated, that's why the economy is about to tank :mrgreen: I was gonna use 5/8 all-thread, is that not strong enough? There's tap & die sets at work, maybe steel rod could work out too. This stuff is why it's more fun to build :!:

Could you solid mount a freewheel cog instead of welding a solid cog to your axle? Then you would be able to coast without a fixed gear, that would get really annoying to ride.
You've got me very curious about it working. Please keep us updated and shoot some pictures of your build.

Back