trike rear hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm new here, just posted an intro over in the other forum.

Anyway on to my question.....

I am building a trike using a diamond cruiser frame and what's left of someones attempt at building a lowrider trike. I cut off the monstrousity that was the old lowrider and saved only the rear end. they had it hooked up direct drive from the crank to the rear and as you know that is all wrong.

I am missing the coster hub with the extra sproket used to link the crank to the trike rear.

Is this something I can make using a regular coaster hub, or something I have to find/buy? I would like to put a 3 speed hub and jockey style shifter on this one if I can.

post some pics of it but yeah you should be fine withe any 3 speed hub but if it's like mine you are going to need to ge a second cog for the hub
P4240110.jpg

sorry i over looked that. sweet score on the rear end. you got the posi trac. lol

from the pic looks like you got a straight shaft.
but yeah 3 speed hub w/coaster will work good.
on mine the second gear is welded on and is the same tooth as rear.
PB080003.jpg

no. no posi. Only one wheel is driven there. but yeah its a sweet setup. I really like how it looks now, I wish I had taken a pic of it before the chop job, god was that ugly, lol.

I like you setup there, I can get the sprocket from our industrial surplus down the road from my friend shop, and use his mill and radial table to open up the center enough to fit on the hub. Thanks for the info.

So do they have some of these old trike rears with a diff? That would be cool.

Turns out the fork on my diamond back donor frame is tweaked, not so much that you notice in 2 wheel form but once the trike rear was on there you can really feel the twist. It's cool though I got a original monark springer on the way.

I have an old trike that came with a diff and a three speed coaster hub with the second sprocket tack welded to the spoke flange. The hub is an old shimano "3 CC" 3 speed kick back hub. works great and with the stick shifter on it the cool factor has improved. I'll post some picks soon.

T Hall said:
I have an old trike that came with a diff and a three speed coaster hub with the second sprocket tack welded to the spoke flange. The hub is an old shimano "3 CC" 3 speed kick back hub. works great and with the stick shifter on it the cool factor has improved. I'll post some picks soon.
by kick back do you mean to shift gears??????

Sorry, by kick back I meant coaster brake. The trike was a junk yard find but the diff and hub assembly were all there. Cool set up, just like a posi in a car. I managed to get an NOS shimano "3CC" hub off of ebay for 8 bucks so I have a back up hub when this one gets tired. Looks like the extra sprocket on the hub was cut in half and then positioned on the spoke flange and tack welded on. Works great. Someone had some time into this bike before I found it. I'm giving it lots of love. Soon to be completed.

If you haven't already seen this ,give it a look http://trikekit.blogspot.com/
Richie Rich came up with that a while ago.
..........Then it reared it's head up again just recently with Sir Joey http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=2063. It appears to start on page #6 I think. It goes on a bit but it's something to look at. I made one but I'm still working it out. Like to see what you come up with.

Later...........

GL

Back