two tone paint fade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a neat 1970's Huffy Daisy tandem for me and my daughter. It's in primer and she has 'suggested' at two tone paint scheme fading a deep red to a medium pink from the front to back where she'll be riding later in the spring.

Any ideas on how to do this? With rattle can paint?

Seems like a challenge to me

You'll never do that with rattle can paint. A smooth color change from dark to light is a job for a pro painter, not a rookie with a rattle can. Most 2 tone bikes have the head and front part of the frame painted in a contrasting color with a hard break where they meet. You can do that style with a rattle can with no trouble. Gary

I made this bike six years ago. Pictures are not to clear after enlarging. Don't know if this is what you're looking for. Let me know and I'll explain how I did it. There is no silver on the burgundy (that's a reflection)..........It was done with rattle cans.

005A.jpg

012A.jpg

This was also done with RATTLE cans, different technique.

011-5.jpg

I like to pride myself as the "King of the Spray Bomb"...I've been using Rattle Cans my whole life.

Make SURE the frame is SMOOTH.(any imperfections WILL show through the final paint)

Scuff it with a ScotchBrite pad

Use White primer

THEN spray it with whatever colors Yas like! ITS REAL EASY!

Try to make sure ALL your paints are the same brand (compatable)

Hope this helps,and Have Fun!

Thanks for the advice. When it warms up I'll give it a try. I wonder if using some graffiti spray tips would make it easier? How did you make it work Magic rat? Any pics for an example?

B607 said:
Most 2 tone bikes have the head and front part of the frame painted in a contrasting color with a hard break where they meet

I'm planning this technique on my son's 52" CCS Cadillac. I'm looking for some ideas to soften the break. Anybody have pics with pinstripping or decals between the 2 colors?

Not sure how to explain this but I would first spray the whole bike the lighter of the two colors. let dry. Then spray the darker color as you get to were the blend is to be just pull back on the can to frame distance allowing the spray to get more airy. With a little practice on some scrap you should be able to get a smoother blend similar to locojoe's. Post pic's when done.

Back