SWB0 U-Haul State Core-Line

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
IMG_4955.jpeg
IMG_4981.jpeg
IMG_4980.jpeg
IMG_5206.jpeg
NOS Core-Line SBC custom built for U-Haul starting point. Came in a box, ready for a few modifications.

These Core-Line bikes were built for the U-Haul Company in 2021 by State Bicycle Company. U-Haul used them to display in their bicycle racks both of which they offered for sale.
IMG_6889.jpeg

I happened to notice it on eBay for a decent price. As is it’s all stock. My intent is to use wider tires, change out saddle, stem, bars, brake levers, grips, and pedals for starters.
I actually like the green paint, the blue wheels have grown on me so they are safe in going forward. The bull horn bars on mine don’t work with my old senior citizen body.

A few bolt on spare parts from the hoard.

IMG_5208.jpeg

I have a few handlebar options and ordered a pair of mustache bars scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

I noticed you stated "wider tires"...
There is a limitation for the Skinny Wheel BO.
Might need to bounce over to the ORBO if it's too wide. ;) but 40 mm is a big tire for a skinny so there is that.

I noticed you stated "wider tires"...
There is a limitation for the Skinny Wheel BO.
Might need to bounce over to the ORBO if it's too wide. ;) but 40 mm is a big tire for a skinny so there is that.
28’s at present trying for 32’s, thanks for your concern. The 28’s actually measure out at 23mm wide.
IMG_5211.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_5210.jpeg
IMG_5209.jpeg
Added a bottle cage, nothing like progress.

IMG_5216.jpeg
IMG_5217.jpeg
IMG_5218.jpeg
I’ve had this set of bars for a while. They’d keep it simple but the Sturmey Archer brake levers don’t want to fit. I remember having to pry the clamp open a bit to get them on a different set of bars.
In order to use the bullhorn levers I’ll need to resize the cables and housing. Just happen to have some unused parts that would fit the bill. The mustache bars arrived today, I’ll test fit them on Wednesday.

IMG_5222.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5230.jpeg
IMG_5235.jpeg
IMG_5234.jpeg
I added the Origin 8 mustache bars today. I tried them down and up. Down “looks” cool but up “feels” cool. I have a set of bar extenders on the way. They should allow the brake levers and grips to coexist on the short grip section of the bars.
A B-67 Brooks saddle from another unused bike was added for comfort.
I may experiment with another bar option. Still going to change out pedals and tires.

Last edited:
I’ve had a couple of these double pull brake levers for a while, just never tried them. I think it might be time. Problem is the clamp is 22.2mm and the current bars are 23mm or so.
IMG_5236.jpeg

Two ways a guy can use those...
Swap the clamp part out with the brake arms that are on the bars now or...
Sand out a bit from the inside of the clamps. Sandpaper on a split dowel in a drill might work

GC

Two ways a guy can use those...
Swap the clamp part out with the brake arms that are on the bars now or...
Sand out a bit from the inside of the clamps. Sandpaper on a split dowel in a drill might work

GC
Bar OD is 23.7 and clamp ID is 22.2. The clamp and lever mechanism is one piece so the swap out idea is null. Boring out the clamp ID should provide a fit. The dual lever can be adjusted to control which brake activates first.
I’m a rear brake first kind of guy. Just like the unconventional idea, more like the braking on your car or truck vehicle. A safety consideration but I’m not a hot dog type rider,

IMG_5242.jpeg
IMG_5241.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_5249.jpeg
IMG_5251.jpeg
IMG_5252.jpeg
I looked through my tools and found some step drills, one happened to be 7/8” max. So it cleaned out the paint finish plus enlarged the hole to fit the bars. Method was a bit crude but I work with what I have, it worked like a small lathe.
We had 4” of snow so my wife’s car was in my garage work space. Right at freezing outside as I increased the bore size on the driveway, my summer shop space…time to warm up.

View attachment 255757View attachment 255758View attachment 255759I looked through my tools and found some step drills, one happened to be 7/8” max. So it cleaned out the paint finish plus enlarged the hole to fit the bars. Method was a bit crude but I work with what I have, it worked like a small lathe.
We had 4” of snow so my wife’s car was in my garage work space. Right at freezing outside as I increased the bore size on the driveway, my summer shop space…time to warm up.
At least there was no lack of coolant outside... 🥶

My bar extenders arrived today, never used them before. Should be interesting to see how they work or not. There will be some OD mismatch. They will add a couple of inches to back sweep. These were a cheaper eBay option than those from Soma Fab Shop.
IMG_5253.jpeg

Last edited:
My bar extenders arrived today, never used them before. Should be interesting to see how they work or not. There will be some OD mismatch. They will add a couple of inches to back sweep. These were a cheaper eBay option than those from Soma Fab Shop. View attachment 255802
And I still extend mine by hammering in a slightly smaller tube with a cut down the length, and then hammering on the extender tubes...

IMG_5256.jpeg
IMG_5257.jpeg

I added the bar extenders, they have a couple of expanding wedges to lock into place. The extender OD is 22.2 so a little offset to the bars, grips will need some flexibility to fit.
Tire delivery scheduled for Tuesday. For our local we have cold weather on the way. May go into hibernation mode as garage is unheated so progress will go on standby.
IMG_5258.jpeg

View attachment 255630View attachment 255631View attachment 255632View attachment 255633View attachment 255634View attachment 255635I added the Origin 8 mustache bars today. I tried them down and up. Down “looks” cool but up “feels” cool. I have a set of bar extenders on the way. They should allow the brake levers and grips to coexist on the short grip section of the bars.
A B-67 Brooks saddle from another unused bike was added for comfort.
I may experiment with another bar option. Still going to change out pedals and tires.
Bars look awesome

Back