Unknown Columbia bike and 1968 Schwinn Stingray I.D. and valuation help needed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up these 2 bikes as part of a package deal last month, and I'd like to figure out what they might be worth, as I'm planning on taking at least the Schwinn Stingray to Haysville later this month.

The first bike is this... I want to say it's a Columbia, but I'm not 100% sure. The wheels are a little bit out of true, but I'm sure they can be straightened out! In all seriousness though, I have never seen wheels turned into a pair of Pringles chips like that before! Surprisingly, despite how absolutely mangled the wheels are, the frame itself looks to be nice and straight. Even the fork looks salvageable. I don't know that sort of bike it was sold as, or what year, as the headbadge has no image other than the name "Goldie" scratched into it, and the serial number on the dropout is hard to read. I don't expect this bike to be worth all that much, but I think it could still make a nice rat rod muscle bike or at least a cool wall hanger or garden bike as it is. I might keep it and build it up if it doesn't have any real resale or trade value, but I'm really not attached to it.
BtfD_7_bikes_18.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_19.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_22.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_23.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_25.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_26.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_27.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_28.jpg

The next bike I'd like to know the value of is this 1968 Schwinn Stingray that someone converted to a BMX bike back in the day. It was originally a factory green bike that someone painted black. Whoever turned it into a BMX bike clearly rode it like one, as the forks are absolutely smashed from either a hard landing or from running into something at high speed. I'm not really a BMX or Stingray kind of guy, so I'd like to sell or trade this bike. The only piece I want to keep from this bike is the handlebar stem, as that might come in handy for another project later. That said, if that part really impacts the value of this bike, then I may just leave the bike as-is. So, what would this bike realistically be worth, with or without the handlebar stem?
BtfD_7_bikes_36.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_37.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_38.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_39.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_40.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_41.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_42.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_43.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_44.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_45.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_46.jpg
BtfD_7_bikes_47.jpg

I picked up these 2 bikes as part of a package deal last month, and I'd like to figure out what they might be worth, as I'm planning on taking at least the Schwinn Stingray to Haysville later this month.

The first bike is this... I want to say it's a Columbia, but I'm not 100% sure. The wheels are a little bit out of true, but I'm sure they can be straightened out! In all seriousness though, I have never seen wheels turned into a pair of Pringles chips like that before! Surprisingly, despite how absolutely mangled the wheels are, the frame itself looks to be nice and straight. Even the fork looks salvageable. I don't know that sort of bike it was sold as, or what year, as the headbadge has no image other than the name "Goldie" scratched into it, and the serial number on the dropout is hard to read. I don't expect this bike to be worth all that much, but I think it could still make a nice rat rod muscle bike or at least a cool wall hanger or garden bike as it is. I might keep it and build it up if it doesn't have any real resale or trade value, but I'm really not attached to it.
View attachment 261796View attachment 261797View attachment 261798View attachment 261799View attachment 261800View attachment 261801View attachment 261802View attachment 261803

The next bike I'd like to know the value of is this 1968 Schwinn Stingray that someone converted to a BMX bike back in the day. It was originally a factory green bike that someone painted black. Whoever turned it into a BMX bike clearly rode it like one, as the forks are absolutely smashed from either a hard landing or from running into something at high speed. I'm not really a BMX or Stingray kind of guy, so I'd like to sell or trade this bike. The only piece I want to keep from this bike is the handlebar stem, as that might come in handy for another project later. That said, if that part really impacts the value of this bike, then I may just leave the bike as-is. So, what would this bike realistically be worth, with or without the handlebar stem?
View attachment 261804View attachment 261805View attachment 261806View attachment 261807View attachment 261808View attachment 261809View attachment 261810View attachment 261811View attachment 261812View attachment 261813View attachment 261814View attachment 261815
I'm not sure about the columbia I will have to look at some other head badges to find that shape. The '68 Stingray was a 3 speed as it has front fork brake mount and the rear brake mount but lacks the longer frame for a 5 speed sprocket IMO $50

I'm not sure about the columbia I will have to look at some other head badges to find that shape. The '68 Stingray was a 3 speed as it has front fork brake mount and the rear brake mount but lacks the longer frame for a 5 speed sprocket IMO $50
I thought the Stingray was the long frame, just with the smaller chainring. I've seen a few others like it. I don't think any of the shorty frames had the brake mounts like the long ones did, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Goldie should be brought back to life.
Goldie would make a great project for sure! I'm just not sure if I'm the right guy to do it, as I have a hard time getting over some of the lines of the bike. Since I didn't originally grow up with these bikes ('90s kid,) and because I'm an illustrator/graphic designer by trade, I pay attention to the aesthetics of a bike more than anything else. With Goldie, there are a couple tube bends that just stick out to me too much for me to really ignore.
BtfD_columbia_lines.jpg

The spots I highlighted above just look like someone took a straight tube and just kinked it a little. It doesn't flow with the rest of the bike, at least in my opinion. As much as I'd like to build this one, I just feel like it might be better to sell it or trade it to someone who would appreciate it more than me.

I thought the Stingray was the long frame, just with the smaller chainring. I've seen a few others like it. I don't think any of the shorty frames had the brake mounts like the long ones did, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
That is the second generation SR frame from 1966-1968. In '68 they also offered the third generation frame on the 5 speeds and Krates. The first style '63-'65 was short reffered to as the "shorty" 36 tooth with short chain and seat stays. The second like yours has longer seat stays and still the shorter chain stays as there is no room for the 48 tooth sprocket if you look it would hit the frame just behind the sprocket. The third and last frame had the chain stays elongated at the bottom bracket allowing for 48/52 chain ring. I love my original Coppetone 1968 SR, I also have a '68 frame I'm going to make into a 2 speed this summer once it is warm enough to paint outside.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpg
    IMG_3010.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Goldie! What happened to you?! Goldie was once loved with great focus and emotion.
Probably painted a vibrant gold color and given a custom head badge the boy's brother
made in Jr. High Metal Shop. The old seat was shot so his sister offered to give Goldie a
nice quilted blue seat from her old Sears Free Spirit. Everything that was chrome shined
in those early days of summer sun. Everybody loved Goldie, especially the boy that rode
him. Nothing beat feeling most important and useful in the world carrying snacks and
things in Goldie's handlebar basket. Riding on a mission back to the secret hide out. And
then one day, Goldie was suddenly and horribly hated with great focus and emotion! Goldie
was broken. But they couldn't break Goldie's spirit. And they could never bring themselves
to throw him away either. Surely kept as some grim reminder to all others that may warrant
a threatening message of some sort. Beware! Ride well! Or this may befall you biker brethren!
C'mon Goldie! Rise from the gutter from whence you were beaten and cast asunder! 🤓
Rise and ride again! Before they part you out!

I love that OG kid klunker too. 😍

Man, the contrast between the replies on here and The Cabe is almost night and day! Everyone here loves "Goldie," while the folks on The Cabe see it as a good garden bike at best, and worthless at worst. Guess which forum's more fun to me?
Lot's of wadded up panties on the cabe, the good guys get drowned out by the self appointed mayor's of cabe town. It is worth the hassle sometimes as there are a few really knowledgeable members who love to share info. At times I feel like I'm back in catholic school with a ruler is across my knuckles hahahahaha

Goldie! What happened to you?! Goldie was once loved with great focus and emotion.
Probably painted a vibrant gold color and given a custom head badge the boy's brother
made in Jr. High Metal Shop. The old seat was shot so his sister offered to give Goldie a
nice quilted blue seat from her old Sears Free Spirit. Everything that was chrome shined
in those early days of summer sun. Everybody loved Goldie, especially the boy that rode
him. Nothing beat feeling most important and useful in the world carrying snacks and
things in Goldie's handlebar basket. Riding on a mission back to the secret hide out. And
then one day, Goldie was suddenly and horribly hated with great focus and emotion! Goldie
was broken. But they couldn't break Goldie's spirit. And they could never bring themselves
to throw him away either. Surely kept as some grim reminder to all others that may warrant
a threatening message of some sort. Beware! Ride well! Or this may befall you biker brethren!
C'mon Goldie! Rise from the gutter from whence you were beaten and cast asunder! 🤓
Rise and ride again! Before they part you out!

I love that OG kid klunker too. 😍
Dang, the love for Goldie runs strong here! You typed up a whole story and everything! And it's not like you were picking favorites with the little footnote you gave the Schwinn Stingray! :21: (In all seriousness, I think the Stingray's cool too, it's just not my thing personally.)

Funny thing, Goldie was actually a red bike originally, never repainted. Makes the name all the more mysterious. Was "Goldie" the name of the kid who rode the bike, or the name given to the bike?
BtfD_7_bikes_48.jpg

Red bikes always seem to rust the best, I've noticed. Must be the iron oxide in the paint. My 1961 Murray Meteor Flite Shoestring was a red bike once, but now it has the perfect patina!
BftD_rusty_murray_rrbbo_2022_26.jpg
BftD_Shoestring_FINAL_main_SCALED.jpg

You guys are kind of making me want to go ahead and build Goldie as a fully-patina'd muscle bike. I have enough rusty muscle bike parts that would look right at home on this bike, and admittedly, out of the 7 bikes I got in the lot these 2 came from, Goldie was the one I wanted to keep the most. Maybe fixing old Goldie would help me overlook the few issues I have with the shape of the frame. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened!

Lot's of wadded up panties on the cabe, the good guys get drowned out by the self appointed mayor's of cabe town. It is worth the hassle sometimes as there are a few really knowledgeable members who love to share info. At times I feel like I'm back in catholic school with a ruler is across my knuckles hahahahaha
OMG yes. The self appointed mayors of Cabetown. Which, as I believe, may be
located in South Africa? And they know who they are. lol As you can imagine
I've had my knuckles whacked by the proverbial ruler across the knuckles more
than once there. And probably deservedly so as I am a spastic mess. I can attest
to one thing, however, and that's my Aunt was a nun and school teacher for over
41 years with the Rockville Centre Diocese. I had met a few of her former students
and they swore that she whacked them all over, but mostly on the hands. I asked
her about it in her declining years at the old folks home. She looked at me and
quietly said, "Peter. I never did that. Who said I did that?" And in fear for myself and
the other people's very souls I lied and said, "Um, nobody. I made it up." She said,
"Good. Good. Now let's not speak of these things anymore."
One can never be too sure about the power of an angry nun!

Yeah, The Cabe's a great resource for info on bikes with a lot of really cool, really knowledgeable people, but man are there a bunch of gatekeeping snobs on there. I've had folks call me names or straight-up TELL me how to build MY bike over there. Like, why can't people just be allowed to enjoy things and build their bikes their own way? Not every bike needs to be 100% period or factory-correct, super-valuable, highly-collectible, incredibly old, and/or nearly-impossible to find in order for someone to enjoy and appreciate it!

Yeah, The Cabe's a great resource for info on bikes with a lot of really cool, really knowledgeable people, but man are there a bunch of gatekeeping snobs on there. I've had folks call me names or straight-up TELL me how to build MY bike over there. Like, why can't people just be allowed to enjoy things and build their bikes their own way? Not every bike needs to be 100% period or factory-correct, super-valuable, highly-collectible, incredibly old, and/or nearly-impossible to find in order for someone to enjoy and appreciate it
@Da Gas Man there was a real great go around recently about a blue men's Phantom. Some of the experts refused to even admit it might have been a fake. The points usually used for tearing someone's bike apart were suddenly out the window and unimportant. The truth to an individual is what that individual chooses to believe. I believe that my 7th great grandfather slayed a dragon as told to me by my Dad.
If you want to get some attention on the cabe just keep mentioning you are looking for information on your B.F. Goodyear bicycle hahahaha

Latest posts

Back